Subject: [vmeet] PSTN bridges

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:25:33 -0500

mcr> (Particularly that even with the who-is-talking-now bit, unless we
mcr> can enforce push-to-talk {how do we do that on a straight PSTN
mcr> voice connection?} we will always have the background
mcr> noise/people-eating/etc. problem.)   

John> (There's the germ of a good discussion here, but Mike needs to
John> restate this before I can respond intelligently: I suggest it
John> deserves a separate named thread.)

1) We need push-to-talk.  If you haven't pushed, mute is sent.
   (The chair needs to be able to see that you haven't pushed the
   button, but are still present)
        
2) The Chair needs to be able to enable receiving your audio or not.

3) If the service supports a PSTN bridge, then how is the push to talk
   implemented? *6 is used to mute yourself on some bridges.

Requirements 1/2 seem to be already in the document.

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:52:03 -0500

> 2) The Chair needs to be able to enable receiving your audio or not.

   "Push-to-talk" is a "solution"; it solves a noise problem by adding
a context-change problem (which is generally a much less serious one).

   Thus, I'm not sure simply saying "push-to-talk" is sufficient.
IMHO, the moderator (typically the WGC) needs to know which remote
participants wish to talk, and be able to switch their microphone
on to the appropriate extent. This might mean that a microphone is
switched on when a participant asks a question and left on during
the reply (or it might not).

>    implemented? *6 is used to mute yourself on some bridges.

   I don't think this requirements document needs to say how.

> Requirements 1/2 seem to be already in the document.

   (Is there a recommended change to the text here?)

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:54:55 -0500

I have found TOHRU to be a simple and effective tool:

http://tohru.trace.wisc.edu/

On Jan 27, 2012, at 10:52 AM, John Leslie wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> NOTE WELL: This list operates according to
> http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html.
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet
>