Subject: [vmeet] Latency papers

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:30:04 -0400

Ur texts (if anyone can get a pdf of those 2, I would like copies)

Klemmer, E. Subjective evaluation of transmission delay in telephone
conversations. Bell System
Technical Journal, 46, (1967), 1141-1147.

Brady,P.T. Effects of transmission delay on conversational behavior on
echo-free telephone circuits. The Bell System Technical Journal,
January, (1970), 115-134.

There is a huge literature here - check this page out
http://www.interruptions.net/literature.htm

Some specific papers

One of us : Stuart Cheshire
Latency and the Quest for Interactivity
http://www.stuartcheshire.org/papers/LatencyQuest.html

Lots of numbers : HP Tech Report (look at Figure 1 and Figure 3)
Effects of Latency on Telepresence
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-120.pdf

O’Conaill, B., Whittaker, S. and Wilbur, S. Conversations over video
conferences: An evaluation of the spoken aspects of video-mediated
communication. Human-Computer Interaction, 8, (1993), 389–428.
http://www.interruptions.net/literature/O_Conaill-HCI93-P.pdf

Horstmann G. (2006) Latency and duration of the action interruption in
surprise, Cognition & Emotion, 20 (2), 242-273 [PDF 334KB]
http://www.interruptions.net/literature/Horstmann-CognitionEmotion06.pdf

PACKET LOSS, BANDWIDTH, AND LATENCY AFFECT JUDGED QUALITY OF
VIDEOCONFERENCING 2005
Gregory W. Cermak
http://enpub.fulton.asu.edu/resp/vpqm2005/papers/221.pdf

Hope all this helps.

Marshall