Subject: [vmeet] Feedback on draft-ietf-genarea-rps-reqs-04

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 14:27:04 -0400

Thanks to Paul H for such an excellent set of requirements!
Mostly I'm very happy with what is written. I did note a few things as I 
was reading through it:

    The intention is to
    improve as much as possible of the experience of remote attendees in
    meetings while not significantly affecting the experiences of local
    attendees and WG chairs.

IMO we would be pleased to have the RPS affect the local attendees, as 
long as the effect is *positive*.

    **Requirement 04-35**: The floor control system MUST allow a chair to
    easily allow all remote attendees to speak without requesting
    permission; that is, the chair MUST be able to easily turn on all
    remote attendees mics at once.

ISTM we need to acknowledge system limitations - that mixing might be 
limited to some bounded number of remote speakers.

    **Requirement 04-36**: The floor control system for the chair MUST be
    able to be run by at least two users at the same time.  It is common
    for a chair to leave the room, to have a side discussion with an AD,
    or to become a presenter.  They should be able to do so without
    having to do a handoff of the floor control capability.

While nice, I think the strength of this requirement may be more than 
necessary. In my experience two chairs might switch off handling this 
responsibility, but share the equipment used to connect to the floor 
control. Beyond that it would probably be sufficient to allow for two 
chairs to be connected and able to seize control of the floor from one 
another.

    **Requirement 04-37**: The RPS MUST authenticate users who can use
    the floor control system in a particular meeting using simple
    passwords.

Its reasonable that the RPS must support this capability. But lets not 
exclude support for some other mechanism(s) as well.

Presentations:

Currently 2.5 talks about presentations as slides in ppt or pdf format, 
and 2.6 talks about shared text document editing. There is no mention of 
local and remote presentation of other things.

It is fairly common for chairs to display most anything from their 
computer to the display in the room. Webex provides a mechanism to 
remotely share with nearly as much flexibility. This should be 
incorporated into the requirements.

Preparation for WG Chairs:

If recording of meetings is optional, then it MUST be possible to 
configure recording as part of meeting prep. If recording has been 
configured, then it should happen automatically without explicit action 
at the beginning of the meeting. If there is a way to suspend recording, 
then it should be abundantly clear that it is suspended and easy to restore.

	Thanks,
	Paul K