Subject: [vmeet] RPS Priority Question: Video

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:28:13 -0400

The current draft includes:

2.4.1.  Video from the Room to Remote Attendees

 **Requirement 04-40**: Remote attendees MUST be able to see the
 presenter at a meeting.  A lower-priority requirement is that remote
 attendees SHOULD be able to see who is speaking at the mics in the
 room.

I want to make sure that this represents the community consensus.  Personally, I do not want to put a cameraman in each meeting room.  Yet, I do not see any way to meet these requirements without (paid) staff to operate the cameras.

Russ

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:40:53 -0800

On 6/20/12 11:28 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
> I want to make sure that this represents the community consensus.

I don't love this and I don't think I can support it as a MUST.  It
seems to me that the mandatory mechanisms should represent the minimum
necessary to support successful remote participation.  It's been my
experience that video from the room really isn't *necessary* for
remote participants to fully participate, although it's definitely a
nice-to-have.

Stepping back a little bit, most of the bad experience I've had with
remote participation have been due to poor chairing of the session.  My
question here is whether or not the mandatory mechanisms should be
intended to be robust against crappy meeting practice, or should
represent the minimum needed for successful remote participation, or ???
The document is not clear about that.

Melinda

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:42:44 -0400

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Personally, I do not want to put a cameraman in each meeting room.
> Yet, I do not see any way to meet these requirements without (paid)
> staff to operate the cameras.

   The Google Hangout motif works rather well, where there is a camera
(generally a laptop built-in) aimed where likely speakers will be. The
occasional dissociated voice is only a mild annoyance.

   Personally, I would find the microphone-line camera more useful than
the presenter camera, since I usually know who is presenting, while
people at the mike too often mumble their names. ;^(

   (And I mention once again that a camera showing the slides in low
resolution is very helpful in guessing which slide the presenter is
talking about.)

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:56:29 -0400

> The document is not clear about that.

You seem to be asking for some principles.  Off the top of my head, I can come up with a few things that the RPS must not do...

(1) RPS must not degrade the quality of the meeting for the people that are in the room.

(2) RPS must not overload the chair.  The chair needs to focus on running the meeting, not running the RPS.

(3) RPS must not dictate the form or fashion that the meeting.  With ~120 WGs each working in a slightly different way, the RPS should mold to these ways of working, not force all of the WGs to conform to the RPS.

Russ