Subject: [vmeet] draft-ietf-genarea-rps-reqs-04

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:24:13 -0700

"  **Requirement 04-01**: The specifications in the RPS MUST rely upon
   IETF and other open standards for all communications and interactions
   wherever possible unless there is an identified gap that cannot be
   met by those standards."

I would add that if such gaps are identified, an effort should be made to
standardize the solutions, at the IETF or elsewhere.

"  **Requirement 04-02**: All tools in the RPS SHOULD be able to be run
   on the widest possible array of computers.  The tools may be stand-
   alone applications, may be run from a modern web browser, or from the
   command line.  The highest priority is that the tool need to be
   available on all of (at least) MacOS version 10.6 or later, Windows 7
   or later, and any common Linux distribution produced in 2010 or
   later.  A lower priority is that the tools be able to run on IOS and
   Android platforms.  The tools MUST NOT rely on Adobe Flash to work
   correctly."

I think that the last sentence should says "... MUST NOT rely on Adobe Flash
in a browser to work correctly." And to be fair, Java applets and Silverlight
applications should also be in the list of technology that must be been used.

"  **Requirement 04-03**: Audio, video, instant messaging, and slide
   streams going to and from remote attendees SHOULD be delivered in as
   close to real-time as is practically possible.  When possible, the
   delivery SHOULD have delays of less than 200 milliseconds to remote
   attendees who are on fast Internet connections.  A common complaint
   with the current RPS is that the streaming audio can take more than
   10 seconds (and sometimes as much as 30 seconds) to reach the remote
   attendee.  This causes many of the problems listed in Appendix A.4.1."

I think that these requirements should be relaxed for remote attendees that do
not plan on contributing (i.e. that did not register).  If one has no
intention to comment, it does not matter what the delay is (it still need to
be reasonable, i.e. < 15 seconds).  Removing this constraint would probably
permit to better serve the smaller group of remote attendees who signaled that
they plan to participate by registering.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug