Subject: [nvrg-bof] IETF#73 BAR BOF Agenda
From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:40:03 +0100
List-Id: Discussion list for the proposal of a Network Virtualization RG <nvrg.listserv.gwdg.de>

Hi all,

Here is the preliminary agenda for the NVRG BAR BOF at the IETF#73 meeting. Let me know any change request.

THURSDAY, November 20, 2008 
1740-1930 Afternoon Session III
Room Directors Row 4

* Agenda bashing
* Purpose of this meeting - Martin Stiemerling
* EU IST 4WARD project - Christoph Werle
* Host architecture for virtualization - Joe Touch 
* Discussion of problem space and work items towards a charter

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:54:26 -0800
From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
To: Mosharaf Chowdhury <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nvrg-bof] Further steps

Mosharaf Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> 
> I believe you would be interested in the survey we have put together
> recently. You can find the technical report here:
> http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/research/tr/2008/CS-2008-25.pdf. Any comment,
> critique will be very much appreciated.

Sure - a short one. PlanetLab isn't a *network* overlay; it virtualizes
host resources, but doesn't virtualize addresses, deploy tunnels, or
otherwise support virtual networking.

It's a fine testbed on which overlays can be deployed by experimenters
(with limitations), but the testbed itself has nothing to do with
network virtualization IMO. I.e., we don't call VMware a system for
network virtualization either.

Anyone who can demonstrate otherwise, please certainly speak up.

A minor correction: Table 1 lists the X-Bone as application layer; it is
network layer.

Joe

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:50:14 +0100
From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvrg-bof] [Fwd: Call for agenda items for the session at the 73rd IETF	meeting]

Hi,

This is a reminder to send me agenda items.

right now there is one presentation planned out of the EU IST FP7 4WARD 
project.

Let me know if you interested in giving a talk.

 Martin   

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[nvrg-bof] Call for agenda items for the session at the 73rd 
IETF meeting
Date: 	Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:29:00 +0100
From: 	Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
To: 	<[email-masked]>

Dear all,

We have the opportunity to meet during the IETF#73 meeting in Minneapolis:

Thursday, 1740-1930 Afternoon Session III
(see under reservations for IESG breakout room here:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/UpcomingIetf)

The purpose of the first meeting in March 2008 was to get in contact and
getting an overview of existing works and projects. However, now it is
time to consider the research challenges to be solved by such a possible
Network Virtualization Research Group. 

Network virtualization seems to be a broad term (ranging from optical up
to the application layer) and getting started on discussing research
challenges requires an outline on what people might find challenging. 
Some technology is already available that could be used to virtualized
networks, such as, but not limited to, multiple lambdas on a fibre, the
Virtual Internet Architecture (VIA), and the current trend in virtual
routers (e.g., reusing virtual machine technology). 

There are already existing technologies for network virtualization and
in various cases they are used. For instance, in EMULAB or VINI
virtualization is used for testbed operations. Management of these
virtual networks might be relatively easy (they are not - but a bit
easier than what comes now) compared to large-scale virtual network
that spans the whole Internet and that is not under a single
administrative control. Management in network virtualization will be
needed in various parts, such as, management of the substrate,
management of each slice in the substrate, and probably management of
the combination of substrate with an arbitrary number of slices.

The current trend of virtualization on devices is much focussed on
router virtualization, but what about the virtualization on the end
hosts? Yes, there is the virtual machine concept, but is this the right
approach or is it better to go for stack virtualization? 
(an example for stack virtualization is here:
http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/)

If you have a research challenge and want to discuss it (or them), please
drop me a mail until Wednesday, Nov 12th. A presentation is appreciated. 

The very rough agenda:
- introduction
- (technical) presentations
- discussion of challenges
- charter discussion

At the end of the session, the attendees can discuss the charter of a
possible NVRG. A RG does need a charter and Aaron (as IRTF chair) urged
me to get this progressed in terms of stating what the scope of this RG
is and issues are to be solved.

Let me and the others know your thoughts.

Thanks,

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:23:00 +0100 (CET)
From: "Kurt Tutschku" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvrg-bof] 2nd CFP: 20th ITC Specialist Seminar on Network Virtualization

**********************************************************************************
Call-for-Paper

UPDATE:
- KEYNOTES AND INVITED SPEAKER
- PUBLICATION OF SELECTED REVISED PAPERS in

20th ITC Specialist Seminar on
NETWORK VIRTUALIZATION – Concepts and Performance Aspects

http://www.itcspecialistseminar.com/itcss20/
18.-20. Mai 2009
Swiss-Belhotel Golden Sand Resort, Hoi An, Viet Nam
**********************************************************************************

AIMS AND TOPICS
Network virtualization is the technology that allows the simultaneous
operation of multiple logical networks (also known as overlays) on a
single physical platform. Network virtualization permits distributed
participants to create almost instantly their own network with
application-specific naming, routing, and resource management mechanisms.
For instance, server virtualization enables users to use parts of a
computing center as their own personal computer. Recently, network
virtualization received tremendous attention since it is expected to be
one of the major paradigms for the future Internet as proposed by numerous
international initiatives on future networks, e.g. PlanetLab (USA,
International), GENI (USA), AKARI (JAPAN), OneLab2 (Europe), and G-Lab
(Germany).

A major objective of this ITC Specialist Seminar is to early identify
future performance issues and to provide methodologies and mechanisms to
address the various  performance problems in network virtualization. The
seminar is intended as a forum for scientists and engineers in academia
and industry to exchange and discuss their latest experiences and research
results. It will address techniques, architectures, performance models,
and performance engineering methods leading to real world network
virtualization solutions that provide users with efficient techniques for
creating and operating their own high performance virtual network.

Topics of interest are amongst others, but not limited to:
o Performance issues of virtualization techniques on routers and end hosts
o Performance issues of bandwidth and resource virtualization techniques
o Performance issues of overlays for future network architectures
o Performance of virtualized transport mechanisms
o Performance of virtualized services and virtualized applications
o Virtual test labs and network federation

KEYNOTES AND INVITED TALKS
The organizers of the seminar are proud to announce the following keynote
and invited speakes:

o Keynote: Prof. H. Kobayashi (Sherman Fairchild University Professor
Erimitus of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and former Dean of
the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), Princeton
University, USA)
o Invited Talk: Prof. A. Nakao (Head of the Network Virtualization
Laboratory of NICT, Japan and Associate Professor at the Graduate School
of Interdisciplinary Information Studies, The University of Tokyo)

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: December 15, 2008
Acceptance notification: January 31, 2008
Camera ready: February 20, 2008

PUBLICATION
All papers will be published in the workshop proceedings. In addition,
selected papers will be invited for being published as an extended version
in a special issue on "Network Virtualization" of the International
Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems  (IJCNDS,
http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijcnds)

GENERAL CHAIR
o Phuoc Tran-Gia, University of Wuerzburg, Germany

GENERAL CO-CHAIR
o Prosper Chemouil, Orange Labs, France

TPC CHAIRS
o Kurt Tutschku, University of Vienna, Austria
o Paul Mueller, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
o Frederic Dang Tran, France Telecom Orange Group, France

PUBLICITY CHAIR
o Rastin Pries, University of Wuerzburg, Germany

TPC
o Stephan Baucke, Ericsson Research, Germany
o Andy Bavier, Princeton University, USA
o Hans van den Berg, TNO and Twente University, Netherlands
o Marcus Brunner, NEC, Germany
o Joachim Charzinski, Nokia Siemens Networks, Munich, Germany
o Omar Cherkaoui, University of Quebec in Montreal, Canada
o Nguyen Dai Tho, College of Technology, Ha Noi National University, Viet Nam
o Serge Fdida, Universite Pierre & Marie Curie, Paris, France
o Markus Fiedler, Blekinge Tekniska Högskola, Karlskrona, Sweden
o Carmelita Goerg, University of Bremen, Germany
o JongWon Kim, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, Korea
o Ulf Koerner, Lund University, Sweden
o Daniel Kofman, ENST/INFRES/RHD, Paris, France
o Paul Kuehn, University of Stuttgart, Germany
o Kenji Leibnitz, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
o Laurent Mathy, Lancester University, Lancester, United Kingdom
o Deep Medhi, University of Missouri - Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, USA
o Michael Menth, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
o Masayuki Murata, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
o Akihiro Nakao, The University of Tokyo/NICT, Tokyo, Japan
o Nguyen Ngoc Binh, College of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Guy Pujolle, LIP6, France
o Dario Rossi, ENST Telecom Paris, France
o Hiroshi Saito, NTT, Tokyo, Japan
o Moshe Sidi, Technion, Haifa, Israel
o Ralf Steinmetz, University of Darmstadt, Germany
o Martin Stiemerling, NEC, Heidelberg, Germany
o Pascale Vicat-Blanc Primet, Inria, France

LOCAL ORGANIZATION CHAIR
o Nguyen Tien Dzung, Ha Noi University of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Huu Thanh, Ha Noi University of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Vu Duy Loi, College of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Ngoc Hien, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Nguyen Dinh Viet, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Doan Minh Phuong, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Nguyen Minh Tri, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet Nam
o Duong Ba Hong Thuan, Ha Noi University of Technology, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Huyen Trang, Ha Noi University of Technology, Viet Nam

---
Prof. Dr. Kurt Tutschku
Chair of Future Communication (Endowed by Telekom Austria)
Institute of Distributed and Multimedia Systems, Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna, Universitaetsstrasse 10/T11, 1090 Wien, Austria.

Tel: +43/1/4277-39611

mailto:[email-masked] or mailto:[email-masked]

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:22:05 +0100 (CET)
From: "Kurt Tutschku" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvrg-bof] 2nd CFP: 20th ITC Specialist Seminar on Network Virtualization

**********************************************************************************
Call-for-Paper

UPDATE:
- KEYNOTES AND INVITED SPEAKER
- PUBLICATION OF SELECTED REVISED PAPERS in

20th ITC Specialist Seminar on
NETWORK VIRTUALIZATION – Concepts and Performance Aspects

http://www.itcspecialistseminar.com/itcss20/
18.-20. Mai 2009
Swiss-Belhotel Golden Sand Resort, Hoi An, Viet Nam
**********************************************************************************

AIMS AND TOPICS
Network virtualization is the technology that allows the simultaneous
operation of multiple logical networks (also known as overlays) on a
single physical platform. Network virtualization permits distributed
participants to create almost instantly their own network with
application-specific naming, routing, and resource management mechanisms.
For instance, server virtualization enables users to use parts of a
computing center as their own personal computer. Recently, network
virtualization received tremendous attention since it is expected to be
one of the major paradigms for the future Internet as proposed by numerous
international initiatives on future networks, e.g. PlanetLab (USA,
International), GENI (USA), AKARI (JAPAN), OneLab2 (Europe), and G-Lab
(Germany).

A major objective of this ITC Specialist Seminar is to early identify
future performance issues and to provide methodologies and mechanisms to
address the various  performance problems in network virtualization. The
seminar is intended as a forum for scientists and engineers in academia
and industry to exchange and discuss their latest experiences and research
results. It will address techniques, architectures, performance models,
and performance engineering methods leading to real world network
virtualization solutions that provide users with efficient techniques for
creating and operating their own high performance virtual network.

Topics of interest are amongst others, but not limited to:
o Performance issues of virtualization techniques on routers and end hosts
o Performance issues of bandwidth and resource virtualization techniques
o Performance issues of overlays for future network architectures
o Performance of virtualized transport mechanisms
o Performance of virtualized services and virtualized applications
o Virtual test labs and network federation

KEYNOTES AND INVITED TALKS
The organizers of the seminar are proud to announce the following keynote
and invited speakes:

o Keynote: Prof. H. Kobayashi (Sherman Fairchild University Professor
Erimitus of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and former Dean of
the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), Princeton
University, USA)
o Invited Talk: Prof. A. Nakao (Head of the Network Virtualization
Laboratory of NICT, Japan and Associate Professor at the Graduate School
of Interdisciplinary Information Studies, The University of Tokyo)

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: December 15, 2008
Acceptance notification: January 31, 2008
Camera ready: February 20, 2008

PUBLICATION
All papers will be published in the workshop proceedings. In addition,
selected papers will be invited for being published as an extended version
in a special issue on "Network Virtualization" of the International
Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems  (IJCNDS,
http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijcnds)

GENERAL CHAIR
o Phuoc Tran-Gia, University of Wuerzburg, Germany

GENERAL CO-CHAIR
o Prosper Chemouil, Orange Labs, France

TPC CHAIRS
o Kurt Tutschku, University of Vienna, Austria
o Paul Mueller, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
o Frederic Dang Tran, France Telecom Orange Group, France

PUBLICITY CHAIR
o Rastin Pries, University of Wuerzburg, Germany

TPC
o Stephan Baucke, Ericsson Research, Germany
o Andy Bavier, Princeton University, USA
o Hans van den Berg, TNO and Twente University, Netherlands
o Marcus Brunner, NEC, Germany
o Joachim Charzinski, Nokia Siemens Networks, Munich, Germany
o Omar Cherkaoui, University of Quebec in Montreal, Canada
o Nguyen Dai Tho, College of Technology, Ha Noi National University, Viet Nam
o Serge Fdida, Universite Pierre & Marie Curie, Paris, France
o Markus Fiedler, Blekinge Tekniska Högskola, Karlskrona, Sweden
o Carmelita Goerg, University of Bremen, Germany
o JongWon Kim, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, Korea
o Ulf Koerner, Lund University, Sweden
o Daniel Kofman, ENST/INFRES/RHD, Paris, France
o Paul Kuehn, University of Stuttgart, Germany
o Kenji Leibnitz, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
o Laurent Mathy, Lancester University, Lancester, United Kingdom
o Deep Medhi, University of Missouri - Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, USA
o Michael Menth, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
o Masayuki Murata, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
o Akihiro Nakao, The University of Tokyo/NICT, Tokyo, Japan
o Nguyen Ngoc Binh, College of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Guy Pujolle, LIP6, France
o Dario Rossi, ENST Telecom Paris, France
o Hiroshi Saito, NTT, Tokyo, Japan
o Moshe Sidi, Technion, Haifa, Israel
o Ralf Steinmetz, University of Darmstadt, Germany
o Martin Stiemerling, NEC, Heidelberg, Germany
o Pascale Vicat-Blanc Primet, Inria, France

LOCAL ORGANIZATION CHAIR
o Nguyen Tien Dzung, Ha Noi University of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Huu Thanh, Ha Noi University of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Vu Duy Loi, College of Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Ngoc Hien, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Nguyen Dinh Viet, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Doan Minh Phuong, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet
Nam
o Nguyen Minh Tri, College of Technology, Ha Noi National Unversity, Viet Nam
o Duong Ba Hong Thuan, Ha Noi University of Technology, Viet Nam
o Nguyen Huyen Trang, Ha Noi University of Technology, Viet Nam

---
Prof. Dr. Kurt Tutschku
Chair of Future Communication (Endowed by Telekom Austria)
Institute of Distributed and Multimedia Systems, Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna, Universitaetsstrasse 10/T11, 1090 Wien, Austria.

Tel: +43/1/4277-39611

mailto:[email-masked] or mailto:[email-masked]

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:29:00 +0100
From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nvrg-bof] Call for agenda items for the session at the 73rd IETF meeting

Dear all,

We have the opportunity to meet during the IETF#73 meeting in Minneapolis:

Thursday, 1740-1930 Afternoon Session III
(see under reservations for IESG breakout room here:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/UpcomingIetf)

The purpose of the first meeting in March 2008 was to get in contact and
getting an overview of existing works and projects. However, now it is
time to consider the research challenges to be solved by such a possible
Network Virtualization Research Group. 

Network virtualization seems to be a broad term (ranging from optical up
to the application layer) and getting started on discussing research
challenges requires an outline on what people might find challenging. 
Some technology is already available that could be used to virtualized
networks, such as, but not limited to, multiple lambdas on a fibre, the
Virtual Internet Architecture (VIA), and the current trend in virtual
routers (e.g., reusing virtual machine technology). 

There are already existing technologies for network virtualization and
in various cases they are used. For instance, in EMULAB or VINI
virtualization is used for testbed operations. Management of these
virtual networks might be relatively easy (they are not - but a bit
easier than what comes now) compared to large-scale virtual network
that spans the whole Internet and that is not under a single
administrative control. Management in network virtualization will be
needed in various parts, such as, management of the substrate,
management of each slice in the substrate, and probably management of
the combination of substrate with an arbitrary number of slices.

The current trend of virtualization on devices is much focussed on
router virtualization, but what about the virtualization on the end
hosts? Yes, there is the virtual machine concept, but is this the right
approach or is it better to go for stack virtualization? 
(an example for stack virtualization is here:
http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/)

If you have a research challenge and want to discuss it (or them), please
drop me a mail until Wednesday, Nov 12th. A presentation is appreciated. 

The very rough agenda:
- introduction
- (technical) presentations
- discussion of challenges
- charter discussion

At the end of the session, the attendees can discuss the charter of a
possible NVRG. A RG does need a charter and Aaron (as IRTF chair) urged
me to get this progressed in terms of stating what the scope of this RG
is and issues are to be solved.

Let me and the others know your thoughts.

Thanks,

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:46:48 +0100
From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nvrg-bof] Heads up: Slot reserved for NVRG BAR BOF at upcoming IETF#73

Dear all,

Just to let you know: 

A meeting slot has been reserved for the NVRG BAR BOF at upcoming IETF#73.

The time:
Thursday, 1740-1930 Afternoon Session III
(see under reservations for IESG breakout room here:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/UpcomingIetf)

Thanks to Lars Eggert for organizing the meeting room. 

I will start compiling an agenda soon, i.e., people interested in presenting current research challenges in this area are invited to send me their presentation slot requests.

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014