Subject: [nvrg-bof] VISA 09 Extended Deadline: March 27, 2009
From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:40:36 +0100
List-Id: Discussion list for the proposal of a Network Virtualization RG <nvrg.listserv.gwdg.de>

--- VISA 2009:   The First ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Virtualized  
Infrastructure Systems and Architectures ---

            in conjunction with ACM SIGCOMM 2009, August 17th 2009,  
Barcelona, Spain.

                  http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2009/workshops/visa/

                          * FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS *

Infrastructure virtualization has emerged as an important architecture  
and experimentation concept for the Internet infrastructure. The  
global computing and communication infrastructure will encompass (as  
it does today) a diverse and huge collection of networking, computing  
and storage resources. Together they need to form a coherent  
infrastructure and meet our society’s requirements for the 21st  
century. Infrastructure virtualization involves creation of a virtual  
slice of network, computing and storage resources in support of a  
service, an application, or an experiment from a physical substrate of  
diverse resources. This allows users of a virtualized infrastructure  
slice to access resources on a potentially global scale without  
incurring the cost of building such an infrastructure. Thus  
infrastructure virtualization provides a platform to allow innovation  
on a global scale and enables new business models.

As we envision and research Future Internet, there is increasing  
recognition that Infrastructure Virtualization will play an important  
role. However, there are many technical problems to solve: how to  
discover and advertise the resources; how to create and manage an  
infrastructure slice across diverse resources; how does virtualization  
extend to the wireless edge; how to implement virtualization across  
diverse resources and across layers of protocol stack; how to map an  
application or service to run on an infrastructure slice; what  
applications and capabilities are enabled by infrastructure  
virtualization; what kind of cross-layer protocols are possible; how  
does infrastructure virtualization impact the business models of  
network operators; and others.

Many research groups in the US, Europe, Japan, and elsewhere are  
pursuing different aspects of infrastructure virtualization; various  
international funding agencies are actively supporting research in  
this area; and many providers and vendors are very interested in  
exploring how this concept and associated technologies would help  
solve their business problems and create new growth opportunities. The  
goal of the workshop is to feature recent research and developments  
related to infrastructure virtualization to allow exchange of ideas  
and help build a research and user community to explore and help  
realize the potential of infrastructure virtualization.

                           * TOPICS OF INTEREST *

We solicit previously unpublished work on the following, non  
exhaustive, list of topics:

*       Infrastructure virtualization architecture;
*       Resource allocation to virtual slices;
*       Management tools for infrastructure virtualization;
*       Implementation and transition map for infrastructure  
virtualization;
*       Isolation and slice independence in a virtualized  
infrastructure;
*       Integration of the wireless edge into a virtualized network;
*       Inter-operability and federation of virtualized infrastructures;
*       Cross-layer protocols for virtualized networks;
*       Applications and services enabled by virtualized  
infrastructure; and
*       Security issues with virtualized infrastructure.

                            * EXTENDED DEADLINES *

Paper submission deadline:              Friday March 27, 2009
Acceptance notification:                Friday May 1, 2009
Camera ready final submission:          Friday May 29, 2009
Workshop:                               Monday August 17, 2009

                          * INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS *

Authors should submit pdf papers exclusively, to the EasyChair  
conference management system: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=visa09 
.
Please follow the format of ACM Sigcomm 2009 submissions, except  
anonymity is not required and the page limit is eight pages. This  
workshop strongly encourages the submission of exploratory results  
that point to new directions and challenges in the design and  
management of a virtualized infrastructure.

Please contact [email-masked] for any inquiry regarding the  
workshop.

                           * WORKSHOP ORGANIZATION *

Steering Committee:

- Tomonori Aoyama, Keio University and NICT
- Anja Feldmann, TU Berlin and T Labs
- Nick McKeown, Stanford University
- Guru Parulkar, Stanford University
- Larry Peterson, Princeton University
- Cedric Westphal, DoCoMo Labs USA

Program Chairs:

- Guru Parulkar, Stanford University
- Cedric Westphal, DoCoMo Labs USA

Program Committee Members:

- Hasan Alkhatib, Microsoft
- Tomonori Aoyama, Keio University and NICT
- Jack Brassil, HP Labs
- Stephan Baucke, Ericsson
- Simon Crosby, Citrix Systems
- Christophe Diot, Thomson Labs
- Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center
- Serge Fdida, UPMC – Paris 6
- Nick Feamster, Georgia Tech
- Anja Feldmann, TU Berlin and T Labs
- Silvano Gai, Cisco Systems
- Albert Greenberg, Microsoft
- James Kempf, Ericsson
- Dae Young Kim, Chungnam National University
- Ulas Kozat, Docomo Labs USA
- Laurent Mathy, Lancaster University
- Nick McKeown, Stanford University
- Sue Moon, KAIST
- Akihiro Nakao, The University of Tokyo
- K.K. Ramakrishnan, AT&T Labs
- Dipankar Raychaudhuri, Rutgers University
- Jennifer Rexford, Princeton University
- Robert Ricci, University of Utah
- Martin Stiemerling, NEC Labs Europe
- Amin Vahdat, UCSD