Subject: [nvrg-bof] Fwd: NVRG BAR BOF Agenda and Room Information
From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:21:17 +0100
List-Id: Discussion list for the proposal of a Network Virtualization RG <nvrg.listserv.gwdg.de>

Hi,

Just a reminder about today's NVRG BAR BOF.

The main topic is to discuss the proposed charter - so come prepared!
(proposed charter is attached)

   Martin

Subject: [nvrg-bof] First draft of the NVRG charter
From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 02:41:09 +0100
List-Id: Discussion list for the proposal of a Network Virtualization RG <nvrg.listserv.gwdg.de>

Hi all,

Find below the very first draft charter for the NVRG. Please send your  
comments right away, so that we get the discussion about this running.

Be aware that the charter has been written under jet lag ;)

We will discuss the charter also during the NVRG BAR BOF on Wednesday.

   Martin

Draft charter proposal for the Network Virtualization Research Group  
(NVRG)

Recent developments in networking aiming at better utilizing   
infrastructure in terms of reusing a single physical or logical  
resource for multiple other network instances. The term infrastructure  
includes, routers, switches, links, and hosts. Typically, this is  
referred to as Network Virtualization, where a single resource (e.g.,  
a router) can be re-used for multiple networks. These multiple  
networks are independent of each other, so that any action in one  
network is not affecting the other 	networks, i.e., a clean separation  
into slices.

However, in the network community, network virtualization is a very  
broad term, ranging from running multiple wave lengths over a fiber,  
MPLS, virtual routers, to overlay systems. This leads to deployment of  
single technologies in parts of the Internet or other IP-based  
networks, but lacks a common understanding of what network  
virtualization is causing to IP-based networks, or how network  
virtualization is applied in favorable way.

That is by today, router virtualization allows partitioned of  
forwarding tables and routing protocol instances and is already  
supported. Link virtualization is also being supported by Ethernet  
VLANs or different tunnel types in IP networks.   The last part is  
host virtualization beyond today's approach of using virtual machines  
the creation of interface instances for each VM instances.

The Network Virtualization Research Group (NVRG) provides a forum for  
interchange of ideas among a group of network researchers with an  
interest in network virtualization in the context of the Interent and  
also beyond the current Internet. The aim of the NVRG is to identify  
issues in the area of network virtualization and to work our these  
issues towards a possible standardization.

The group will address the following research challenges:
- Virtual host architecture description (updating RFC 1122  and RFC  
1123)
- Virtual router architecture descriptionVirtual router architecture  
description (updating RFC 1812)
- Identifying architectural challenges resulting from network  
virtualization
- Identifying possible new interfaces necessary to deploy virtual  
networks

Web site: http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~stiemer/nvrg/

Mailing list:  Open mailing list to anybody, just needs signing up  
with the list
list's address: [email-masked]
signing up: https://listserv.gwdg.de/mailman/listinfo/nvrg

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
> Date: March 24, 2009 2:47:23 AM GMT+01:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nvrg-bof] NVRG BAR BOF Agenda and Room Information
>
> Dear all,
>
> The next NVRG BAR BOF will be on
>
> Wednesday, March 25, at 8:15pm
> in room  Continental 3
> of the Hilton San Francisco, 333 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco,  
> CA, USA 94102
>
>
> Agenda
>
> * Agenda bashing
> * Introduction (Martin Stiemerling)
> * Discussion of the charter proposal (all)
>
> The charter proposal has just been posted to the nvrg list.
>
>  Martin