Subject: [nvrg-bof] CfP: IJCNDS – Special Issue on Network Virtualization: Concepts and Performance Aspects
From: Kurt Tutschku <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Paul Müller <[email-masked]>, Frederic Dang Tran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:00:21 +0200
List-Id: Discussion list for the proposal of a Network Virtualization RG <nvrg.listserv.gwdg.de>

Call for Papers:

International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed  
Systems  (IJCNDS) – Special Issue on Network Virtualization – Concepts  
and Performance Aspects

ISSN (Online): 1754-3924  -  ISSN (Print): 1754-3916
Guest Editors: Prof. Kurt Tutschku, University of Vienna, Austria;  
Prof. Paul Müller, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany; Dr. Frédéric  
Dang Tran, France Telecom, France.

URL of CfP: http://fc.cs.univie.ac.at/

Topic:

Network virtualization is the technology that allows the simultaneous  
operation of multiple logical networks (also known as overlays) on a  
single physical platform. Network virtualization permits distributed  
participants to create almost instantly their own network with  
application-specific naming, routing, and resource management  
mechanisms such as server virtualization enables users to use even a  
whole computing center arbitrarily as their own personal computer.  
Recently, network virtualization received tremendous attention since  
it is expected to be one of the major paradigms for the future  
Internet as proposed by numerous international initiatives on future  
networks, e.g. PlanetLab (USA, International), GENI (USA), AKARI  
(JAPAN), OneLab2 (Europe) and G-Lab (Germany).

Network virtualization is a rather new technology with performance  
aspects not yet eminent but expected to grow with its spreading  
application, the scaling of this new type of virtual networks, and the  
dynamics of invoking them. These new performance aspects may comprise  
the quality of isolation, fairness among virtual systems, the location  
transparency of virtual services, the quality of synthetic virtual  
resources, and the scalability of the composition of virtual network  
and service and of the management mechanisms for virtual network and  
their communication patterns.
As a follow-up of the successful 20th ITC Specialist Seminar on  
Network Virtualization (Hoi An, Vietnam, 20.-21. May 2009), the  
objective of this special issue of the IJCNDS is to address  
techniques, architectures, performance models, and performance  
engineering methods leading to real world network virtualization  
solutions that provide users with efficient techniques for creating  
and operating their own high performance virtual network.

Topics of interest are amongst others, but not limited to:
- Performance issues of virtualization techniques on routers and end  
hosts
   o Isolation and fairness for the resource access among multiple  
guest systems on a single host
   o Performance issues of virtualized operating systems and server  
virtualization
   o Performance metrics for virtualized hosts or routers
   o Measurement techniques, e.g. for the parallel throughput on a  
single host
   o Performance evaluation of virtualized packet switching technologies
   o Middleware for virtualization
- Performance issues of bandwidth and resource virtualization techniques
   o Media access mechanisms for network virtualization in wireline  
and wireless environments
   o Performance of Multiqueue Network Interfaces
   o Fairness among overlays using the same transmission system
   o Scheduling mechanisms for virtualized connections
   o Models for resource contention between virtual networks
- Performance issues of overlays for future network architectures
   o Performance of overlay composition
   o Performance assessment of grid computing platforms
   o Performance of content/data-oriented routing
   o Stability, robustness and resilience of overlays, virtual  
networks and self-organizing mechanisms
   o Static and time-dependent topology/resource/user models for  
overlays
   o Metrics for adaptation and dynamics in overlays
   o Mechanisms, Capabilities and Accuracy of Network Coordinate  
Systems (NCS)
   o Traffic engineering for virtual networks
   o QoS and Quality-of-Experience (QoE) in overlays
- Performance of virtualized transport mechanisms
   o Performance of multi-source download
   o Path selection, path splicing in overlays
   o Engineering for path combination
- Performance of virtualized services and virtualized applications
   o Traffic models of virtualized services and applications (e.g.  
w.r.t. QoE)
   o Performance of security mechanisms in virtualized network  
environments
   o Performance of virtualization technologies for Grid Computing and  
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
o Performance of Virtual Storages
- Virtual Test Labs and Network Federation
   o Capability and performance and of network emulation
   o Performance of virtual network management mechanisms
   o Performance and management of federation points / gateways /  
interconnects
   o Measurements in deploy virtualized networks

Submissions: Electronic submission of PDF files can be done using the  
EasyChair system

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ijcndssinv2010

Important Dates:
Submission Deadline: 		30.10.2009
Notification of Acceptance: 	01.12.2009
Camera-ready Version: 		15.12.2009
Publication:					Early 2010

---
Prof. Dr. Kurt Tutschku
Chair of Future Communication (Endowed by Telekom Austria)
Institute of Distributed and Multimedia Systems, Faculty of Computer  
Science
University of Vienna, Universitaetsstrasse 10/T11, 1090 Wien, Austria.

Tel: +43/1/4277-39611 Mobile: +43/664/60277-39611

http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/fc

mailto:[email-masked] or mailto:[email-masked]

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:08:00 -0700
From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
To: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nvrg-bof] slides for today's meeting

Draft minutes have just been posted.

Roland Bless wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> are there any minutes/results available already?
> 
> Regards,
>  Roland

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:54:10 -0700
From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvrg-bof] draft minutes from IETF 75 Stockholm NVRG BOF

Hi, all,

I unfortunately didn't recall who was keeping notes from the BOF, so I
created an initial draft below.

If anyone has more detailed or additional information, please post back.

Joe

- -----------------

Draft minutes (posted to the NVRG list for feedback)

NVRG BOF
July 28, 2009
IETF 75, Stockholm Sweden
Substitute chair: Joe Touch, USC/ISI <[email-masked]>
Minutes prepared by Joe Touch

There were 17 attendees, of which 5 were mailing list members.

We discussed the current draft charter, and suggestions for updates.

Issues discussed include:

- - OS vs. network virtualization
	the interaction between the two is probably relevant,
	but unclear to what extent

- - commercial virtualization support
	VMware, other software routers
	hardware router support
	IEEE standards for virtualization

- - relationship to other IETF virtualizations
	TRILL (L2) / LISP (L3) subnet encapsulation
	L2VPN / L3VPN / PPVPN
	tunnels
	VRRP (?)

- - virtualization extent
	core (PPVPN/TRILL/LISP) vs. E2E vs. component (host/router)

- - relationship to other efforts
	ITU-T future Internet
	FIND

	a question was raised as to whether we need or already have an
	ITU liason; I confirmed with Aaron Falk (IRTF Chair) that we
	do not have one nor do we need one. IRTF efforts do not reflect
	any official ISOC policy; we operate as individual groups

- - existing projects
	a number were mentioned, in addition to a summary published in
	IEEE Communications in July (as posted to the list)
	these would be addressed after the charter is finalized

Joe Touch led a discussion on the goal of the charter, and some basic
components that might streamline the current version, e.g.:
	1. explain/define what we mean by network virtualization
	2. explain what they're useful for
	3. describe some challenges
	4. list some milestones

He noted that #1 and #2 were in the charter only as needed for basic
context; full definitions would be developed as part of a document that
would be in the milestones.

Some candidate milestones were indicated:

	a. background/terminology
	b. common parts of NV architectures
	c. common problems/challenges in NV
	d. some solutions (per-problem perhaps)
	e. descriptions of appropriate uses

In parallel with such group documents, individual documents describing
existing research and testbeds could occur in parallel, but might not be
group documents.

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:00:30 +0200
From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Organization: Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nvrg-bof] slides for today's meeting

Hi,

are there any minutes/results available already?

Regards,
 Roland