Subject: [vnrg] FW: I-D Action:draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

From: "Sangjin Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:26:14 +0900

Hello folks,
 
During the Anaheim meeting, it was agreed that "Network Virtualization Problem Statement" document was a good starting point, but more work needs to be done in order to cover various aspects. So, as a follow-up of the meeting. we would like to start discussion about the document. Please find the document in the link below. 
 
This document investigates problem spaces and requirements for supporting network virtualization. We have received several comments offline, but we are soliciting more comments.
 
Any comments are appreciated.
 
Regards,
Sangjin

-----Original Message----- 
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
>From Date: 2010-03-04 PM 11:45:01 
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: 
Subject: I-D Action:draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. 

       Title           : Network Virtualization Problem Statement 
       Author(s)       : S. Jeong, et al. 
       Filename        : draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt 
       Pages           : 9 
       Date            : 2010-03-04 

This document analyzes and discusses the problem space of supporting 
network virtualization in the networks.  Furthermore, some key 
requirements for enabling network virtualization in the networks are 
investigated and described. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt 

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at: 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ 

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the 
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pedro Andrés Aranda Gutiérrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:27:16 +0200

Dear all,

I'd first of alllike to thank all the writers of the draft. We now have
a document to work upon!

My main comment is that the document is written as if current VPN
technologies didn't exist and, IMvHO, this was confusing to me.
This is very much so (I fear) in the last paragraph before [3].
Another point is that there is a whole research topic which is
not touched upon: domains and interdomain problems. The document
very much follows the tradition of assuming planet-wide 'magic'
availability of virtualisation. But this will not be like this.
We will find providers making this happen and if we have to plan
for several of them interacting in some cooperative/competitive
environment. Rationalisation will finally show that sharing footprints
is better in some situations that complete green-field deployment.
This can only happen with a sound interdomain interface.

I'd kindly ask to add this consideration to the I-D.

Kind regards, /PA

PS: I'm attaching a diff file with some language corrections, as well as
some marks of points I think need more discussion to find a more
accurate wording.

-- 
Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez	Telefónica I+D
Technology Specialist		New Network Technologies
mailto: [email-masked]		C/Emilio Vargas,6
Tlf: +34-913 374 702            E-28043 Madrid

"Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden.
  Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/pedro-a-aranda-gutierrez
*** draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt	2010-04-30 06:57:33.000000000 +0200
--- draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01-paag.txt	2010-04-30 07:10:04.000000000 +0200
***************
*** 145,151 ****
        guaranteeing compatibility.
  
     The virtualization technology has been extensively studied for
!    decades and the network virtualization is expected to be realized on
     the basis of traditional virtualization technology, especially server
     virtualization.  The server virtualization is the ability to run an
     entire virtual machine with its own guest OS on another OS or on a
--- 145,151 ----
        guaranteeing compatibility.
  
     The virtualization technology has been extensively studied for
!    decades and network virtualization is expected to be realized on
     the basis of traditional virtualization technology, especially server
     virtualization.  The server virtualization is the ability to run an
     entire virtual machine with its own guest OS on another OS or on a
***************
*** 191,199 ****
     network virtualization allows the aggregation of multiple resources
     and makes the aggregated resources appear as a single resource [1].
  
!    The virtual networks over physical infrastructure are completely
     isolated each other, so different virtual networks may use different
!    network technologies, for example, different protocols and packet
     formats can be supported on each virtual network without
     interference.  When combined with programmability feature in network
     elements, users of virtual networks can program the network elements
--- 191,199 ----
     network virtualization allows the aggregation of multiple resources
     and makes the aggregated resources appear as a single resource [1].
  
!    The virtual networks over a physical infrastructure are completely
     isolated each other, so different virtual networks may use different
!    network technologies; for example, different protocols and packet
     formats can be supported on each virtual network without
     interference.  When combined with programmability feature in network
     elements, users of virtual networks can program the network elements
***************
*** 215,221 ****
     virtual networks to coexist on top of a shared physical
     infrastructure.  It can realize virtual networks with programmable
     network elements, so that users can perform experimentation on any
!    layers.  It also supports the architecture of multiple architectures.
     For example, by utilizing network virtualization technology,

--- 215,221 ----
     virtual networks to coexist on top of a shared physical
     infrastructure.  It can realize virtual networks with programmable
     network elements, so that users can perform experimentation on any
!    layer.  It also supports an architecture of multiple architectures. (**)
     For example, by utilizing network virtualization technology,

***************
*** 229,238 ****
     delivery systems and may use different protocols and packet formats
     [2].
  
!    The followings summarize the problem statement for network
!    virtualization [3].
  
!    In the current networks, such as Internet, users can utilize multiple
     network services over a shared physical infrastructure, so unexpected
     behavior of a service may affect other coexisting services and may
     cause security problems, performance degradation of other services,
--- 229,238 ----
     delivery systems and may use different protocols and packet formats
     [2].
  
!    The problem statement for network virtualization [3] can be
!    summarized as follows:
  
!    In current networks, such as the Internet, users can utilize multiple
     network services over a shared physical infrastructure, so unexpected
     behavior of a service may affect other coexisting services and may
     cause security problems, performance degradation of other services,
***************
*** 240,250 ****
     services by creating isolated logical network environments between
     users belonging to separate groups.
  
!    In the current networks, the network service providers hardly offer
     resources encompassing the physical capability of the resources.
     However, by leveraging network virtualization, it is possible to
     provide high performance resources for users by logically aggregating
!    multiple resources into single resource.  Therefore, a logical
     network consisting of requested resources can guarantee users'
     performance requirements.
  
--- 240,250 ----
     services by creating isolated logical network environments between
     users belonging to separate groups.
  
!    Currently, network service providers hardly offer
     resources encompassing the physical capability of the resources.
     However, by leveraging network virtualization, it is possible to
     provide high performance resources for users by logically aggregating
!    multiple resources into single resource.  Therefore, a logical (**)
     network consisting of requested resources can guarantee users'
     performance requirements.
  
***************
*** 262,276 ****
  3.  Requirements for Network Virtualization
  
     The following list summarizes some key functions, which need to be
!    supported by the network to provide network virtualization feature
!    [2].
  
     o  Since today's network application traffic tends to indicate more
        and more unpredictable variations, each virtual network would like
        to adjust available bandwidth according to traffic demand changes.
        Furthermore, a network application may dynamically request new
        capability that is not supported by the current network
!       configuration.  Thus, the network virtualization should offer a
        method that the virtual networks are capable of easily and rapidly
        creating their own network topologies and dynamically
  
--- 262,275 ----
  3.  Requirements for Network Virtualization
  
     The following list summarizes some key functions, which need to be
!    supported by the network to provide network virtualization [2].
  
     o  Since today's network application traffic tends to indicate more
        and more unpredictable variations, each virtual network would like
        to adjust available bandwidth according to traffic demand changes.
        Furthermore, a network application may dynamically request new
        capability that is not supported by the current network
!       configuration.  Thus, network virtualization should offer a
        method that the virtual networks are capable of easily and rapidly
        creating their own network topologies and dynamically
  
***************
*** 285,292 ****
  
     o  Virtual networks can be multiplexed over a shared network
        infrastructure.  However, this can be liable to restrict network
!       performance and cause instability due to interference by other
!       virtual networks.  The network virtualization should be capable of
        providing the complete performance isolation among virtual
        networks.
  
--- 284,291 ----
  
     o  Virtual networks can be multiplexed over a shared network
        infrastructure.  However, this can be liable to restrict network
!       performance and cause instability due to interference between
!       virtual networks.  Network virtualization should be capable of
        providing the complete performance isolation among virtual
        networks.
  
***************
*** 306,321 ****
        to avoid complex physical network operations that are fully
        dependent on the types of network layers and equipment vendors.
        To disengage the virtual network from the complexity of the
!       physical network, the network virtualization should be capable of
        abstracting the physical network information and provides the
        simple interface for resource control to the virtual networks.
  
!    o  Considering the utility of customers, each virtual network should
        be capable of using physical network resources and constructing a
        network topology.  However, one possible problem is that some
        abnormal virtual networks may occupy most of the resources, which
        deteriorates other virtual network performance due to network
!       resource exhaustion.  So, the network virtualization should
        provide the capability to regulate the upper limit of resource
        consumption by each virtual network in order to maintain the
        overall utility and performance.
--- 305,320 ----
        to avoid complex physical network operations that are fully
        dependent on the types of network layers and equipment vendors.
        To disengage the virtual network from the complexity of the
!       physical network, network virtualization should be capable of
        abstracting the physical network information and provides the
        simple interface for resource control to the virtual networks.
  
!    o  Considering the utility of customers, each virtual network should (**)
        be capable of using physical network resources and constructing a
        network topology.  However, one possible problem is that some
        abnormal virtual networks may occupy most of the resources, which
        deteriorates other virtual network performance due to network
!       resource exhaustion.  So, network virtualization should
        provide the capability to regulate the upper limit of resource
        consumption by each virtual network in order to maintain the
        overall utility and performance.
***************
*** 359,365 ****
     The second applicability is aggregation.  In the computing field, it
     is common to logically aggregate multiple computing resources into a
     single resource in order to support applications or services that
!    require very high performance exceeding single resource's capability.
     Building a high performance computing node by clustering many smaller
     nodes would be the typical use case of resource aggregation.  Similar
     to this use case, network virtualization can allow building a logical
--- 358,364 ----
     The second applicability is aggregation.  In the computing field, it
     is common to logically aggregate multiple computing resources into a
     single resource in order to support applications or services that
!    require a level performance that exceeds a single resource's capability.
     Building a high performance computing node by clustering many smaller
     nodes would be the typical use case of resource aggregation.  Similar
     to this use case, network virtualization can allow building a logical

---

From: "Sergi Figuerola" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:24:07 +0100

Dear all,

Thanks for the work, this is a good starting point.

Regarding the topic of domain and interdomain stated by Pedro, I wonder if we should consider what FEDERATION brings. I think it is important to distinguish the functionalities we expect the virtual resources may have when different domains interact.

We can consider that two virtual domains interact by means of the network control plane they have running on top, so most of these interdomain issues are already being studied by many projects and groups. Thus, we should identify what different may happen (if it is the case) compared to a physical (not virtual) interdomain network scenario. However, what is important to consider is the fact of interdomain when a service (or infrastructure) provider is using a resource from another stakeholder in order to be part of its domain, in that sense we may apply that this provider is FEDERATING virtual resources from other parties, with all it may bring at the administrative level also. Indeed something to clarify, thought.

Regards
Sergi

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Pedro Andrés Aranda Gutiérrez
Enviado el: viernes, 30 / abril / 2010 06:27
Para: Sangjin Jeong; [email-masked]
Asunto: Re: [vnrg] FW: I-D Action:draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

Dear all,

I'd first of alllike to thank all the writers of the draft. We now have a document to work upon!

My main comment is that the document is written as if current VPN technologies didn't exist and, IMvHO, this was confusing to me.
This is very much so (I fear) in the last paragraph before [3].
Another point is that there is a whole research topic which is not touched upon: domains and interdomain problems. The document very much follows the tradition of assuming planet-wide 'magic'
availability of virtualisation. But this will not be like this.
We will find providers making this happen and if we have to plan for several of them interacting in some cooperative/competitive environment. Rationalisation will finally show that sharing footprints is better in some situations that complete green-field deployment.
This can only happen with a sound interdomain interface.

Kind regards, /PA

PS: I'm attaching a diff file with some language corrections, as well as some marks of points I think need more discussion to find a more accurate wording.

Sangjin Jeong escribió:
> From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> From Date: 
> 2010-03-04 PM 11:45:01

"Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden.
  Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/pedro-a-aranda-gutierrez

---

From: PaddyNallur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:43:43 -0700

Hi,

I have the following comments on the document:

Section 1, Introduction:

In this section, the 'server virtualization' benefits are mentioned. Why not also mention the "storage virtualization" benefits ? May be we can bring some of the benefits like "data migration" into the network virtualization also e.g. "network migration" ?  Just a thought.

Section 3, first bullet item:

The description starting from "Furthermore, a network application may ..." is a new capability that network virtualization would bring. My suggestion is to make this a separate bullet item.

Section 4, applicability and use cases: 

In the complex physical networking infrastructure today (e.g., at the core of the network), it is very difficult to add or reserve exclusive physical resources within the physical network for certain application(s) or users.
With network virtualization, we should be able to add or reserve physical resources for a single or group of virtual networks, anywhere in the physical network (e.g., at bottleneck points). With this capability, the infrastructure providers can add/reserve (purchase) resources exclusively for certain customers anywhere in the physical network.  This use case is somewhat opposite of "aggregation" and would be worth mentioning in my opinion.

Thanks
Paddy Nallur

----- Original Message -----
From: Sangjin Jeong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:26 pm
Subject: [vnrg] FW: I-D Action:draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt
To: [email-masked]

> Hello folks,
>  
> During the Anaheim meeting, it was agreed that "Network Virtualization 
> Problem Statement" document was a good starting point, but more work 
> needs to be done in order to cover various aspects. So, as a follow-up 
> of the meeting. we would like to start discussion about the document. 
> Please find the document in the link below. 
>  
> This document investigates problem spaces and requirements for 
> supporting network virtualization. We have received several comments 
> offline, but we are soliciting more comments.
>  
> _______________________________________________
> vnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/vnrg