Subject: Suggestion for VRRP Spec.

From: Brian Jewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:13:57 -0800 (PST)

Everyone,

In the interest of clarification, I would like to propose one more (minor)
addition to the VRRP Specification:

In section 1.2 (entitled "Definitions"), a definition for "Associated 
Address(es)" would be useful. This term has been implicitly used in the
VRRP Spec and is needed to further clarify the naming of tables
("vrrpAssoIpAddrTable") in the VRRP MIB.

The definition could read something like this:

Associated IP Address          An IP address that is being back-up by a virtual 
                               router. Primarily, a given virtual router would
                               have only one associated IP address, except in
                               the case where multiple IP addresses have been
                               assigned to a single interface.
                               
Again, the purpose of this addition would be to provide more consistency between 
the concept of "a backup-up IP address", as defined in the VRRP Spec and the  
terminology I have chosen to use in the VRRP MIB. It further ensures the use of 
a "common language" when speaking or writing about VRRP.

Any thoughts on this subject??

Thanks.

-Brian Jewell
-3Com, Inc.
[email-masked]