Subject: Request to Advance "Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 17:19:23 -0800

Joel,

The chair of the VRRP working group, on behalf of the working group,
requests that the following document be published as a Proposed Standard:

	Title		: Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Higginson, B. Hinden, S. Knight, A. Lindem, 
                       D. Mitzel, M. Shand, D. Whipple, D. Weaver, P. Hunt
	Filename	: draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-05.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 03-Feb-98

This document is a product of the VRRP working group.

The protocol has been reviewed by the VRRP working group and the group
approved it's submission for proposed standard at the Washington, DC IETF.
An excerpt from the minutes is attached.  This draft includes the last
required IANA assignment.

Bob Hinden
VRRP w.g. chair

>Advancing VRRP draft to Proposed Standard
>-------------------------------------------------------
>
>  At the last IETF meeting in Munich, VRRP was selected to be used as
>  the protocol in the standards process.  There was a question asked if
>  the working group had considered using HSRP instead of VRRP.  The
>  answer was that this topic had been discussed at the previous meeting
>  (Munich IETF) and that the working group had agreed to continue to
>  work on VRRP with the goal of making it a standard.
>
>  The chair polled the attendees to see if there was a consensus to move
>  the current VRRP draft to Proposed Standard.  There was a rough
>  consensus to submit it to the IESG for Proposed Standard.  This will
>  be done once the MAC prefix assignment has been obtained.