Subject: seeking arp clarification

From: "G. Paul Ziemba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:20:23 -0800 (PST)

In draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-03, Page 20 at the bottom (8.2 Host ARP Requests),
the first paragraph of 8.2 concludes:

    The request MUST be handled as a standard ARP reply.

I don't understand what this means. Could someone please clarify?

thanks,

 ~!paul

---

From: "Danny J. Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:49:24 -0800

>> I don't understand what this means. Could someone please clarify?

that paragraph does seem a bit unfocused.  most of the paragraph is
dealing with the requirements the virtual router must comply with when
generating ARP reply.  but then that last sentence appears to be addressing
the end-host that generated the ARP request.  and it just says that the
ARP reply for a VRRP address is no different from any other ARP reply,
thus the end host should process it in whatever its ``standard'' method is.

cheers,