Subject: New Revision of VRRP MIB Draft

From: Brian Jewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

Just wanted to do a follow-on to the posting of "Revision 02" of the
VRRP MIB on the IETF website.

This revision contains input received from email, telephone calls 
and the last VRRP WG meeting.

There is a 'change log' at the end the draft which documents the changes
from revision-to-revision. I have enclosed a copy of the change log 
entries for revision 02.

Although I attempted to incorporate most of the suggested changes into
the new draft, I may have missed a few. So please use the WG mailing list
to promote any omissions I might have made, or any new suggestions
that come to mind. I am assuming (perhaps, somewhat optimistically!) 
that there will be at least one more revision to the MIB Draft. 

Also, I will be on vacation the first week of August (next week). So 
there will be a period where I won't be responding to email (I'm not
taking a laptop to the beach!)

Thanks.

-Brian Jewell
-3Com, Inc.
[email-masked]

The following are my concerns about the new revision:

- Should the 'vrrpTrapAuthFailure' trap be removed? This was suggested from
  some of the feedback.

- After more thought, I think the row-creation/deletion mechanism
  in the 'vrrpOperTable' should be better explained. I will endeavor
  to do this in the next revision, or maybe post a modified "description"
  to the mailing list for comments. This is important to ensure that
  the table is adequate for managing VRRP routers. I received comments
  from a number of people who have indicated that they have been 
  implementing the VRRP MIB. It would be good to obtain feedback from them as
  to whether the 'vrrpOperTable' works o.k.

- Remove 'vrrpTrapPacketSrc' and 'vrrpTrapConfigErrorType' from 
  compliances? Only used for 'vrrpTrapAuthFailure' trap.

Change Log (from the MIB Draft):
--------------------------------

* July, 1998: Changes in 2nd revision (draft-ietf-vrrp-mib-02.txt):

  - A number of changes were made to the 'textual content' of the
    draft as per feedback received at the last WG meeting. These 
    changes were too numerous to document individually in this
    section.
  - The size of the "vrrpNodeVersion" object has been changed from
    2 octets to 1 octet.
  - References to obsoleted RFC's have been replaced by references
    to later documents. Notably, references to RFC's 1442, 1443 and 
    1444 have been replaced by RFC 1902, RFC 1903 and RFC 1904,
    respectively.
  - The description for the "vrrpOperControl" was changed to
    reflect the fact that a virtual router does not necessarily
    transition directly from initialize state -> backup state.
    The description for the "vrrpStatsBecomeMaster" was also 
    changed to more accurately convey this fact.
  - The SYNTAX of the "vrrpOperIpAddrCount" was changed to 
    reflect the fact that a virtual router can support only up
    to 255 backup IP addresses.
  - Descriptions for vrrpOperAuthType and vrrpOperAuthKey expanded
    to indicate the per-interface assignment.
  - SYNTAX of vrrpOperPreemptMode object changed from INTEGER
    to 'truthValue'
  - The OIDs for the VRRP traps were fixed; incorrect ident-
    ifiers ('vrrpOperations') had been used in OID assignments.
  - The SYNTAX for the 'vrrpOperPriority' object was corrected 
    to indicate that this can have a value of '0'.
  - The vrrpOperHMACMD5Key object was deleted. It was combined
    with the vrrpOperAuthKey object, whose SYNTAX was adjusted
    accordingly.
  - OID for 'vrrpTraps' changed to '{ vrrpNotifications 1 }'
  - The 'vrrpStatsPasswdSecurityViolations' and 'vrrpStatsHmac-
    SecurityViolations' objects have been combined into a 
    single 'vrrpStatsSecurityViolations' object; this was
    suggested to avoid redundancy.
  - As per the last WG meeting, the 'vrrpAssoIpAddrIndex' object 
    has been deleted from the 'vrrpAssoIpAddrTable'and replaced 
    by 'vrrpAssoIpAddr'.
  - Removed references to 'vrrpAssoIpAddrIndex' in samples.
  - Added new object 'vrrpOperProtocol' to 'VrrpOperEntry'.
  - MAX-ACCESS for the 'vrrpOperVrId' object changed to
    'not-accessible', as per RFC1902 (auxillary objects).
  - SYNTAX for 'vrrpOperVirtualRouterUpTime' changed to 
    'TimeStamp'.
  - Added importation of 'TruthValue'and 'TimeStamp' to accomodate
    changes listed above. Deleted importation of 'TimeTicks'.
  - Changed MAX-ACCESS to 'accessible-for-notify' for 
    'vrrpTrapPacketSrc' and 'vrrpTrapConfigErrorType' objects.
  - In the sample tables, the "if" values were incorrect for
    the sample tables for "IP B" (they used to read "I1").
  - MAX-ACCESS for 'vrrpOperAuthType' and 'vrrpOperAuthKey' 
    changed to 'read-only', since these objects are defined on
    a per-interface basis.
  - Overall review and editing of Section 5.0 (References) with 
    deletion of references not used in this document. Also, added
    reference '9'.