Subject: SPAM on VRRP Mailing List

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:03:06 -0800

I would like to see if something can be done about reducing the amount of 
SPAM on the VRRP mailing list.  There are two things that are fairly easy 
to implement and may help.  These are:

1) Change the list to only accept posting from members of the list.  This 
is a very easy change to make.  I am pretty sure that rejected email will 
be held for review and non-spam can be forwarded back to the list.  Only I 
will get the SPAM....

2) Move the list from <[email-masked]> to <[email-masked]>.  This will 
cause the spammers to have to learn a new address.  This may help for a 
while.  The accept email from list members can be implemented here as well.

Please let me know your thoughts.  The other alternative is, of course, to 
do nothing.

Bob

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:06:38 -0800 (PST)

| 1) Change the list to only accept posting from members of the list.  This 
 | is a very easy change to make.  I am pretty sure that rejected email will 
 | be held for review and non-spam can be forwarded back to the list.  Only I 
 | will get the SPAM....

PUHLEASE!

Tony

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:20:35 -0800

Since a few people thought it was a good idea and no one objected, I 
changed the VRRP mailing list to only allow subscribers to post email to 
the list.  Hopefully, this will cut down on the SPAM.

If the address your subscribed to the list with is different from the 
address you are sending from, please let me know and I will update your 
entry.  For example, I found my address needed updating.

Bob