Subject: Black Hole time

From: "Rajnish Madan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:42:55 +0530

Hi,

If the Master router sends the advertisement with priority 0 (immediate
announcement),
what should be the maximum Black hole time?

I am sending 100packets/sec onto the network and getting the loss of around
60 packets,
which corresponds to the black-hole time of 0.6 seconds. This seems to be
high to me.

Can anyone tell the max black hole time, they got in this scenario in their
implementation?

Please suggest in this regard.
Regards
Rajnish

---

From: "Danny J. Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:48:39 -0800

the failover time is expected to be the minimum ``Skew_Time''
across all VRRP Backup routers.  Skew_Time =  (256 - Priority) / 256 ),
which ranges from minimum 0.0078seconds (Backup with Priority=254)
to maximum 0.9961seconds (Backup with Priority=1).  and then there's
possible some interaction with time quantum used by underlying host 
operating system in regards to processing packet I/O, and process/timer 
scheduling, etc. that could skew observed operation slightly.