Subject: RE: [VRRP] Explanation of virtual MAC addresss

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

What about VRRP for IPv6. I am observing that the WG is 
	inclined towards NOT using VMACs (??). Are there people who
	would like to keep the VMACs in VRRPv3 (VRRP for IPv6) ?
	If not, then we should update the current draft with 
	this change.

I'm not sure there's enough traffic on this issue to be sure of
consensus. But if we did want to remove VMACs for IPv6, what
is the equivalent of "gratuitous ARP" that would work in IPv6?
Is there one?

Radia

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:23:44 -0400

> is the equivalent of "gratuitous ARP" that would work in IPv6?

RFC 2461, sec. 7.2.6

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies