Subject: [VRRP] Routing table in VRRP

From: Mudhafar Hassan-Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:12:15 -0700

Hi,

I have questions to the VRRP community that I would appreciate if some
can help me with:
In a VRRP group, how are the routing tables of these routers effected by
VRRP?
Obviously, these router are all share the same subnet that are connected
to. Does not that sound like the network will see multiple routes
through these routers to the same subnet?

So imagine we have two routers A and B constituting a VRRP group
connected to subnet X (see illusteration below). Both A and B are
connected on the other side to the backbone network.

Let's say A was the active side, and suddenly the link between router A
and subnet X gets disconnected. The situation looks like this: A does
not know is has lost connectivity to subnet X, B will time out due to
the lack od the advertisement message from A, assuming that the link
between B and subnet X is good. B will assume the responsibility for the
VRRP group. But, how does the backbone know that it should start dealing
(forwarding) packets to B instead? Is there any way that B will
advertise to the backbone network that his route to subnet X is better
so that its route becomes the next hop route form the backbone
perspective?

Thanks,
Mudhafar

--------------------------------
|                                               |
|        IP backbone                   |
|                                               |
--------------------------------
        ^                    ^
        |                      |
        |                      |
        v                    v
    --------        --------
    |    A    |        |    B    |
    --------        --------
        ^                    ^
        |                      |
        X(failure)         |
        |                      |
        v                    v
----------------------------(subnet X)

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp