Subject: [VRRP] RFC 3768 on Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:52:04 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3768

        Title:      Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
        Author(s):  R. Hinden, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 59969
        Obsoletes:  2338

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-10.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3768.txt

This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP).
VRRP specifies an election protocol that dynamically assigns
responsibility for a virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a
LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the IP address(es) associated with
a virtual router is called the Master, and forwards packets sent to
these IP addresses.  The election process provides dynamic fail over
in the forwarding responsibility should the Master become
unavailable.  This allows any of the virtual router IP addresses on
the LAN to be used as the default first hop router by end-hosts.  The
advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher availability default
path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router
discovery protocols on every end-host.

This document is a product of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.