Subject: [VRRP] Questions on draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv4-timers-01.txt

From: "Steve Bates" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:31:05 -0700

Hi Bob,

1) Back in early December there was a flurry of comments about mismatched
advertisement intervals causing multiple masters.  The consensus seemed to
be that virtual routers of a lower priority would ignore a mismatch if the
higher priority interval was less than their configured interval and make
the higher priority interval their own operational value when it was greater
than their configured interval.  I was under the impression that this would
be reflected in the draft.  True?

2) Does the addition of advertising interval granularity create a similar
problem?

3) I don't dispute the desirability of  a configurable advertisement count
but I'm not sure we gain much passing it in the advertisement.  Once again a
mismatch creates the potential for multiple masters.  If it were treated
like the advertisement interval as discussed above it might be of marginal
use to prevent flapping, but it's not as critical as the interval itself.

3) For the VRRPv4 packet there are only 4 bits available since the
advertisement interval uses 12.  Do you have an idea how to migrate this
draft to the IPv6 case?

Steve Bates
Alcatel Internetworking
801-287-8934 

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp