Subject: [VRRP] status of draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-06.txt

From: "Carl Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:04:39 -0600

What is the status of draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-06.txt?

I am interested in implementing this in a product and have a couple comments.

1) is it possible to add a vrrpStateChange notification or a notification for each state. Our requirements require notification from a device when it EXITS master state. Currently the vrrpTrapNewMaster only indicates when the system goes into the master state. Having an indication of backup and initialization states as notifications allows the management station to correlate when the state changes without polling.

2) is it possible to create an additional conformance statement without the statistics group. This would simply make it easier to implement a read-only agent implementation.

Thanks,
Carl

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: "Joan Cucchiara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:00:07 -0500

Hi Carl,

Thanks for pointing out that there is now a version 6.
I didn't see the announcement.  I did a MIB Dr. review
of version 5, so will take a look at version 6 also.

My comments are inline below, prefaced with Joan:

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Carl Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 6:04 PM
Subject: [VRRP] status of draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-06.txt

Joan:  It is in the process of the MIB Dr. review.  As stated above,
Joan:  version 6 is recent and will be reviewed.
Joan:  Comments on version 5 were in the June, July and Oct 2006 timeframe

I am interested in implementing this in a product and have a couple 
comments.

1) is it possible to add a vrrpStateChange notification or a notification 
for each state. Our requirements require notification from a device when it 
EXITS master state. Currently the vrrpTrapNewMaster only indicates when the 
system goes into the master state. Having an indication of backup and 
initialization states as notifications allows the management station to 
correlate when the state changes without polling.

Joan:  If the working group is interested in adding this, then I wouldn't be 
against it.

2) is it possible to create an additional conformance statement without the 
statistics group. This would simply make it easier to implement a read-only 
agent implementation.

Joan:  I would advise against this.  These statistics for the ReadOnly 
conformance are informative.  Yes, it would make
Joan: the implementation easier, but these statistics give much information 
and should be supported for
Joan: a readonly conformance in my opinion.  Is there a specific statistic 
or statistics that are an issue?

-Thanks,
  Joan

Thanks,
Carl