Subject: [VRRP] Please clear draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec

From: Stephen Nadas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:05:38 -0400

Hi Jari,

Regarding your comment - will the below actions clear it?

Thanks,
Steve

Requirement to send router advertisements is in 6.4.2 but not in 6.4.3, why?

Oversight, added @ (630)

In Section 6.4.3, the Accept_Mode flag is only checked in the IPv6 branch of
the code, is this correct?

(650) is outside of v4/v6 if condition,  so is checked regardless

In Section 6.4.3, I don't understand how there's first a MUST statement on
responding to Neighbor Solicitations, and then two steps later a conditional
statement based on the value of Accept_Mode, again on the the same thing,
responding to NSes.

I think the need to accept some packets regardless of the setting of accept_mode is what was trying to be expressed by (635). My proposed fix is to move (635) in between (615) and (620). I am also considering:

                (618) ++ (even) if Accept_mode is False: MUST NOT drop IPv6 Neighbor
                Solicitations and Neighbor Advertisements.

6.4.3.  Master

   While in the {Master} state the router functions as the forwarding
   router for the IPvX address(es) associated with the virtual router.

   Note that in the Master state the Preempt_Mode Flag is not
   considered.

   (600) While in this state, a VRRP router MUST do the following:

      (605) - If the protected IPvX address is an IPv4 address:

         (610) + MUST respond to ARP requests for the IPv4 address(es)
         associated with the virtual router.

      (615) - else // ipv6

         (620) + MUST be a member of the Solicited-Node multicast
         address for the IPv6 address(es) associated with the virtual
         router.

         (625) + MUST respond to ND Neighbor Solicitation message for
         the IPv6 address(es) associated with the virtual router.

         (630) ++ MUST send ND Router Advertisements for the virtual
         router.

         (635) ++ if Accept_mode is False: MUST NOT drop IPv6 Neighbor
         Solicitations and Neighbor Advertisements.

      (640) +-endif // ipv4?

      (645) +- MUST forward packets with a destination link layer MAC
      address equal to the virtual router MAC address.

      (650) - MUST accept packets addressed to the IPvX address(es)
      associated with the virtual router if it is the IPvX address owner
      or if Accept_Mode is True.  Otherwise, MUST NOT accept these
      packets.

[rest of 6.4.3]