Subject: [VRRP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 07:15:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Version 3 for IPv4 and IPv6
	Author(s)       : S. Nadas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-05.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2009-12-03

This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for
IPv4 and IPv6.  It is version three (3) of the protocol and it is
based on VRRP (version 2) for IPv4 that is defined in RFC 3768 and on
draft-ieft-vrrp-ipv6-spec-08.txt.  VRRP specifies an election
protocol that dynamically assigns responsibility for a virtual router
to one of the VRRP routers on a LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the
IPv4 or IPv6 address(es) associated with a virtual router is called
the Master, and forwards packets sent to these IPv4 or IPv6
addresses.  VRRP Master routers are configured with virtual IPv4 or
IPv6 addresses and VRRP Backup routers infer the address family of
the virtual addresses being carried based on the transport protocol.
Within a VRRP router the virtual routers in each of the IPv4 and IPv6
address families are a domain unto themselves and do not overlap.
The election process provides dynamic fail over in the forwarding
responsibility should the Master become unavailable.  For IPv4, the
advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher availability default
path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router
discovery protocols on every end-host.  For IPv6, the advantage
gained from using VRRP for IPv6 is a quicker switch over to back up
routers than can be obtained with standard IPv6 Neighbor Discover
(RFC 4861) mechanisms.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 6, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.