Subject: [VRRP] Any examples of using VRRP in systems/solutions other than Routers?

From: Mahesh Kelkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:14:48 -0400

Hello,

Since VRRP is designed to eliminate single point failure, I was
wondering if VRRP is used on systems/solutions that do not involve
routers.

Are there any examples of such usage?
Are there any known real world deployments?
Are they recommended?

I came across some discussions on using VRRP as a failover protocol
for Linux Virtual Server (LVS). But I don't know if its deployed or
not..

Thanks
Mahesh

---

From: Martin Visser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:47:08 +1100

I think you will find it is used a lot on devices employing high
availability functions (HA). For instance I know for sure that Nortel's
Switched Firewalls and Alteon Load Balancer's use VRRP to implement shared
addresses across HA pairs. I am pretty sure many such appliances use it in
this fashion just Googling for seemed to show that Citrix Netscalers and
Juniper Netscreen use it such a fashion

Regards, Martin

[email-masked]

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Mahesh Kelkar <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> vrrp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp
>