Subject: [vwrap] Linden Lab Involvement in Virtual World Interoperability

From: Joshua Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:11:40 -0700

(Speaking as a Linden Lab employee/individual, not co-chair)

Hey friends -

As Linden Lab recently announced (
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/linden-lab-restructures-to-generate-efficiencies-and-support-investment-in-new-platforms-95982564.html),
the company has undergone some restructuring and refocusing of efforts.

As part of that refocusing, Linden has reduced engineering resources tasked
specifically with implementing the standards emerging through the VWRAP WG
process. Linden will continue to be engaged on efforts that directly align
with business goals and current development needs, and in fostering the
ecosystem around Second Life - for example, publication of data formats and
APIs for interfacing with Second Life. For the near term, however, Linden
will not be explicitly funding production of specifications or
implementations related to virtual world interoperability. Linden Lab
continues to be supportive of the standardization process and we hope to be
able to be more actively involved at some point in the future.

I plan to volunteer my personal time to mediate discussions as co-chair of
the working group, as long as there remains interest in tackling issues
within the VWRAP WG charter. As individuals, many other Linden Lab employees
are and continue to be involved in standardization efforts, around virtual
worlds and other IETF efforts.

Thanks,

Joshua Bell
Director of Technology Integration
Linden Research, Inc.

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:09:57 +0100

Sorry to hear about the reduction in resourcing at the Lab, Joshua, but I'm
very glad to hear that you're remaining at VWRAP in a personal capacity.
Interest in VW protocols and interop is certain to bloom in the years ahead,
so there's going to be a lot to do, with or without sponsorship.

I would also wish to voice my support for your independent co-chairing,
which has always been even-handed and forward looking.  The future of VW
interop looks bright to me, and VWRAP can certainly be a useful part of
that.

Morgaine.

=================================

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Bell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> vwrap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vwrap
>
>