Subject: [vwrap] [IDEA] Access to Object content without rezzing. (was: [opensource-dev] Open Viewer Development Announcement)

From: Boroondas Gupte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:31:09 +0200

[I'm cross posting this to several mailing lists to solicit feedback.
To avoid clutter, please *do not reply to all of them* when answering,
unless there's a valid reason to do so. To avoid scattering the
discussion, please *do reply to [email-masked]
<https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sl-ux>* when
answering. Thanks!]

On 08/17/2010 01:52 PM, [email-masked] wrote
<https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/opensource-dev/2010-August/002520.html>:

> [...] V1.23 as well, makes designing take much
> longer than it should.  Like having to rezz objects to edit their contents.
> Ever have to rezz hundreds of boxes to update something? Or correct the
> permissions.  Have to rezz a box to get to its contents I think is one of
> the most difficult things for new people.  Having to rezz objects to get to
> stuff, then copy to inventory, then find it in inventory, etc.
I have made a suggestion on how to solve this UI-wise at VWR-2427 Allow
objects containing other items to be expanded within the Inventory
<http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2427>. I'd like to hear about
other approaches, too!

The main problem when coming up with complete solution for these use
cases is, though, that they'll probably require some fundamental changes
on the (non-opensource) server side:

As far as I know, currently, Object Inventory is served by the Region,
and the Region only knows about rezzed Objects. So either a way would
have to be added for the Region to proxy non-rezzed Objects to the
client or clients would have to be granted direct (or other indirect)
access to the asset storage system.

I think the same goes for the Object assets themselves, so these
restrictions not only apply to manipulating an Object's content, but
also to editing the Object itself without rezzing it (e.g. changing it's
size, shape or color).

I don't know if the AD
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Agent_Domain>/RD
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Region_Domain> separation of
OGP/AWG/VWRAP will help here, thus CCing their mailing list. Maybe
someone from there can shed some light on this.

cheers
Boroondas