Subject: [vwrap] Launch document support added to SimianGrid

From: John Hurliman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:40:47 -0800

First, a little background: SimianGrid is a set of common virtual
world grid services such as asset storage, inventory, user account
management, and simulator management. Written in PHP, it consists in a
 web API on top of a database and a user-facing frontend called
SimianGridFrontend.

Now that SimianGrid has a real capability service, I just finished
adding support for the VWRAP Client Application Launch Message format
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vwrap-launch/). If you
login to a recent build of SimianGridFrontend it will give you an
option to "Go in-world as {username}", which generates a .calmj file
like this:

{ "authenticator": { "type": "capability" }, "identifier": { "type":
"agent", "name": "John Hurliman" }, "loginurl":
"http://www.mygrid.com/Grid/login/?cap=d155353c-6743-4142-b65c-e67b879965e6",
"region": "" }

On the http://openmetaverse.googlecode.com/ page there is a picture of
the VWRAP Launcher and a link to the installer (only a Windows
installer currently, the app also functions on Linux but needs some
work on OSX). This launcher can handle .calmj files and pass the
parameters to a Second Life-based viewer and automatically initiate a
login with the pre-authenticated login capability. This makes
single-click launching from the web into any SimianGrid-based VW
possible.

Hopefully third party viewers will add native support for CALM
documents and make the launcher obsolete.

John