Subject: [Webtransport] Comment(s) on draft-vvv-webtransport-quic and draft-vvv-webtransport-http3

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 19:33:23 +0800

There are a few differences between QuicTransport and Http3Transport that
caught my attention.

1. 0-RTT.  Section 3.3 says "0-RTT support in QuicTransport is OPTIONAL"
whereas draft-vvv-webtransport-http3 Section 4.3 indicates "Http3Transport
does not support 0-RTT".  Currently the WebTransport API has no support for
this (optional) feature.

2. Session IDs and Pooling. draft-vvv-webtransport-http3 Section 3
describes the Session ID (a hop-by-hop property) and the table in Section 7
indicates that pooling is supported.  There is no equivalent in
QuicTransport, which does not support pooling as noted in Section 7 of
draft-vvv-webtransport-quic.

webtransport-http3 Section 5 notes that "Session IDs are used to
demultiplex streams and datagrams belonging to different Http3Transport
sessions".  Section 3 says "session IDs SHOULD NOT be exposed to the
application".

This made me wonder under what circumstances session IDs might be exposed,
and also whether there were situations where a session ID or pooling might
make sense for QuicTransport.  Could a QuicTransport ever need to be
demultiplexed in the same way as an Http3Transport?

NITs

1.

Would be good to indicate where comments can be sent.  Presumably this
would be to [email-masked] or a github repo.

---

From: Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 09:51:29 -0500

> does not support 0-RTT".  Currently the WebTransport API has no support for

Indeed.  I would not be surprised if we could add 0-RTT support into the
API, but that is somewhat of a complex endeavor.

> demultiplexed in the same way as an Http3Transport?

I can imagine exposing session ID as a part of a debugging interface.  The
main problem is that they are not that useful.

I don't believe pooling QuicTransports would be useful.  It would make
things like stats really hard to do.

> would be to [email-masked] or a github repo.

Fixed.

  -- Victor.