Subject: [Webtransport] New mailer and IETF107 BoF on RIPT - voip over httpbis and webtransport

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 10:47:34 -0500

There is a new work effort underway to standardize an application protocol
on top of httpbis for real-time voice and video, basically replacing SIP,
RTP and SDP. This takes advantage of the usage of QUIC and UDP-based
transport, that makes httpbis more amenable to real-time. The current draft
also makes use of webtransport for media, falling back to just httpbis when
not available.

We've got a mailer set up:
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v3

And you can read the core draft here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosenbergjennings-dispatch-ript/?include_text=1

We'll be holding a BoF at IETF107 in Vancouver with the aim of chartering a
working group.

It would be great to get participation and support from the experts in the
webtransport community.

Thx,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan Rosenberg, Ph.D.
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 08:11:40 -0800

Can you provide a bit more detail on the requirements relating to
WebTransport, such as REQ1?

   REQ1: The solution shall not require extensions or modifications to
   HTTP/3.

   REQ2: The solution shall work with both L4 and L7 HTTP load balancers

   REQ3: The solution shall work in ways that are compatible with best
   practices for load balancers and proxies supporting HTTP/3, and not
   require any special changes to these load balancers in order to
   function.

   REQ11: The solution shall provide low latency for media

   REQ12: The solution shall support audio and video

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:48 AM Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> We'll be holding a BoF at IETF107 in Vancouver with the aim of chartering
> a working group.
>
> Webtransport mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webtransport
>

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:23:41 -0500

Yeah, this one is confusing. What it means is - we don't want to make an
extension to HTTP which is just for voip. The goal is to sit on top of the
modern http stack, which can include webtransport assuming that gets
standardized. Definitely that requirement needs rewording.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> There is a new work effort underway to standardize an application
>> protocol on top of httpbis for real-time voice and video, basically
>> replacing SIP, RTP and SDP. This takes advantage of the usage of QUIC and
>> UDP-based transport, that makes httpbis more amenable to real-time. The
>> current draft also makes use of webtransport for media, falling back to
>> just httpbis when not available.
>>
>> It would be great to get participation and support from the experts in
>> the webtransport community.
>>
>> Thx,
>> Jonathan R.
>>
>> --