Subject: [Webtransport] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-webtrans-00-00: (with BLOCK)

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 06:34:52 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-webtrans-00-00: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-webtrans/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the responses to Magnus' comment I think there are two issues to sort
out before proceeding further.

1) Whether the API is creating requirements for the protocol, or the protocol
is creating requirements for the API. The charter is written as if the
situation is the former, but the list mail points towards the latter. The
charter should be clear about this before it goes out for external review.

2) It sounds like there is still some chance that the change control for the
API shifts from the W3C to the WHATWG. Would this group re-charter (or close)
if that happens, or would it be better to make the charter more generically
tied to the API but not to its change controller?

Please keep the IESG on cc on all replies. Thanks.

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 14:36:23 +0100

Hi Alissa, thank you for the review - responses inline.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-webtrans/

The intention is for the API to create requirements on the protocol.
We'll clarify the text to make this more explicit.

> tied to the API but not to its change controller?

That's a good point. We'll replace all mentions of "W3C" with something like
"the owner of the API". That way, the details of interactions between W3C
and WHATWG (and also internal changes in those organizations) become
opaque to this WG.

> Please keep the IESG on cc on all replies. Thanks.

Would these edits be satisfactory?

Thanks,
David

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:42:54 -0500

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 8:36 AM, David Schinazi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 3:34 PM Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-webtrans/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-webtrans/>
> 
> 
> 

Yes, thanks.
Alissa

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 14:47:45 +0100

Thank you. We'll send out updated text soon, probably tomorrow
due to time zone differences.

David

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 00:37:42 -0500

Alissa, the charter has been updated.  Will you please check whether -01
will clear your BLOCK?

Thanks,
Barry