Subject: [Webtransport] Updated Proposal WEBTRANS WG Charter

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 10:49:21 -0800

To address IESG comments, we have updated the proposed WEBTRANS WG Charter:
https://github.com/DavidSchinazi/webtrans-wg-materials/blob/master/charter.md

The revision is enclosed below.
Description of Working Group

The WebTransport working group will define new client-server protocols or
protocol extensions in order to support the development of the WebTransport
API https://quic.rocks/webtransport-api.

The WebTransport working group will define an application-layer protocol or
suite of application-layer protocols that support a range of simple
communication methods. These must include unreliable messages (that might
be limited by the path MTU), reliable messages, and ordered streams of
reliable messages. Attention will be paid to the performance of the
protocol, in particular protocol overhead and the potential for
head-of-line blocking; its ability to be deployed and used reliably under
different network conditions; and the ability to integrate the protocol
into the Web security model. The working group will not define new
transport protocols but will instead use existing protocols such as QUIC
and TLS/TCP.

The group will pay attention to security issues arising from the above
scenarios so as to ensure against creation of new modes of attack.

To assist in the coordination with the owners of the WebTransport API, the
group will initially develop an overview document containing use cases and
requirements in order to clarify the goals of the effort. This will include
requirements arising from the WebTransport API. Feedback will also be
solicited at various points along the way in order to ensure the best
possible match between the protocol work and the needs of the WebTransport
API.

The group will also coordinate with other working groups within the IETF
(e.g. QUIC, HTTPBIS, TLS) as appropriate. In particular, any changes to
these core protocols shall be discussed in their respective working groups.
The WebTransport working group may define extensions to these protocols,
but any working group last call defining such extensions shall also be sent
to the mailing list of the respective working group.
<https://github.com/DavidSchinazi/webtrans-wg-materials/blob/master/charter.md#goals-and-milestones>Goals
and Milestones

   - March 2020 - Adopt a WebTransport Overview draft as a WG work item
   - March 2020 - Adopt a draft defining a WebTransport protocol as a WG
   work item
   - October 2020 - Issue WG last call of the WebTransport Overview
   document.
   - January 2021 - Issue WG last call on the first WebTransport protocol
   document