Subject: [Webtransport] WebTransport Interop Event

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 14:40:11 -0700

As discussed at IETF 111, we are planning a WebTransport interop event.
Current thinking is to do this in mid to late September, which will give us
some time to get the infrastructure in place. Goal would be to test
interoperability over the Internet with WebTransport client and server
implementations.

In terms of WebTransport over HTTP/3 Test servers, a Web Platform Test
using an Echo server is under development here
<https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/pull/29727>.  The Echo Server
echoes back what it is sent, so it is useful for writing protocol
compliance tests.

There is also an HTTP/3 version of the former "Counter" test server, which
returns a count of the octets sent to it.  A web page going against that
server (not working yet) is available here:
https://webrtc.internaut.com/wt/

If you're interested in hosting a WebTransport HTTP/3 server (of either the
echo or counter types), please send email to the Chairs.  We would like to
get either or both of these online in the weeks prior to the interop event,
so as to help people prepare.

We would also welcome testing of WebTransport clients.

WebTransport over HTTP/3 is currently in an Origin Trial in Chromium, so if
you don't have your own client, you can use that one.

The "Intent to Experiment" is here:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/aaLFxzw5zL4
Chrome Status is here: https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4854144902889472
Tracking bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1011392

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 23:01:47 +0100

Hi Bernard,

> interoperability over the Internet with WebTransport client and server

Could you please clarify the I-D version of the WebTransport over HTTP/3
protocol that this interop is targetting?

Cheers
Lucas

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:17:59 -0700

I believe that the WPT test servers under development (based on aioquic)
are targettng draft-ietf-webtrans-http3-01.

Yutaka & Victor - can you confirm?

Also, was -01 used for the Chromium Experiment?

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 20:51:55 -0700

Victor indicates that -02 would be a better target (though it is not on the archive yet). 

> On Aug 10, 2021, at 15:17, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> I believe that the WPT test servers under development (based on aioquic) are targettng draft-ietf-webtrans-http3-01. 
> 
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 3:01 PM Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hi Bernard,
>> 
>>> As discussed at IETF 111, we are planning a WebTransport interop event.  Current thinking is to do this in mid to late September, which will give us some time to get the infrastructure in place. Goal would be to test interoperability over the Internet with WebTransport client and server implementations. 
>> 
>> 
>> Could you please clarify the I-D version of the WebTransport over HTTP/3 protocol that this interop is targetting?
>> 
>> Cheers
>> Lucas

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 00:41:37 +0100

> Victor indicates that -02 would be a better target (though it is not on
All I'm really trying to figure out is how much work there is to brush up
some old code I had that spoke WebTransport.

What is the anticipated diff between 01 and 02? 01 targeted
draft-schinazi-masque-h3-datagram-04, but  the current editors copy implies
draft-ietf-masque-h3-datagram-03, what changed the format of datagram
frames. Maybe that is just an artefact of the editors copy, but right now I
can't tell.

Aside from I-Ds, it would help to clarify if the echo/counter examples are
working on payload or if they include header elements.  Appreciate there's
example code but even just a sentence of prose could help avoid expectation
mismatch. Would also be good to understand if there is a common URI pattern
for the CONNECT requests.

Cheers,
Lucas

---

From: Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 13:27:07 -0400

The anticipated diff is what's in the edtior's draft now + issues from the
last interim.  I also hope to target a newer version of the h3-datagram,
though this will depend on how the discussion about tokens/etc goes.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:42:36 -0700

FWIW, there is a working version of the "counter" test page that works with
Chrome canary 95.0.4623.2 hosted here:
https://webrtc.internaut.com/wt/

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 10:27 AM Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Aside from I-Ds, it would help to clarify if the echo/counter examples
>> are working on payload or if they include header elements.  Appreciate
>> there's example code but even just a sentence of prose could help avoid
>> expectation mismatch. Would also be good to understand if there is a common
>> URI pattern for the CONNECT requests.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lucas
>>
>>