Subject: [weirds] RDAP CA

From: Pieter Vandepitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:43:27 +0200

Hi all,

Does anyone know if ICANN has plans to setup a PKI for RDAP?

Usages I have in mind:
* release certain content to ICANN accredited registrars (certificates
signed by ICANN directly or a proxy CA specifically for accredited
registrars)
* Same for gTLD's or ccTLD's: less restrictive content filtering,
partnerships, ...
* ...

kind regards

Pieter

---

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 08:53:41 -0400

PKI wasn't part of the ICANN RFP for a pilot Restful system,
http://www.icann.org/en/news/rfps/restful-whois-16may12-en.pdf, which was
awarded to CNNIC last October. Formal policy decisions on RDAP won't be
made until after ICANN adopts RDAP, although the report of the directory
services Expert Working Group might have something useful on the issue.

Obviously, I don't know what might be "planned" behind the scenes. :)

Don

On 5/31/13 8:43 AM, "Pieter Vandepitte" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>weirds mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2013 14:08:11 -0000

>Does anyone know if ICANN has plans to setup a PKI for RDAP?

RDAP runs on top of http, so you can set up whatever PKI you want
using https.

While RDAP has general provisions for tiered access, I'd be surprised
if anyone had given much thought to what the tiers would be, or who
would be given access to what.