Subject: [weirds] Accept-Language header

From: Pieter Vandepitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 23:27:04 +0200

I have a question about
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-05#section-9.3

What's the rationale behind the rule that servers should ignore the
Accept-Language header? It would be nice if a client could inform the
server about its preferred language in some way, so that e.g. a Terms of
Use in a Notice object can be sent back in the most appropriate language
(i.e. the language of the requester if available, otherwise english).
The accept-language header seems the most appropriate to me in this case...

Kind regards

Pieter

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 21:48:11 +0000

>The accept-language header seems the most appropriate to me in this

I don't pretend to know the reason, but our I18N experts tell us that such
usage is inappropriate. There have been long, long discussions on
internationalization. But the result was that if you want to present the
notices in different languages, differentiate them using the 'lang'
property. I do think it will be rare for a registry to support more than a
handful of languages.

-andy