Subject: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 04:54:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Web Extensible Internet Registration Data Service Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Registration Data Access Protocol Query Format
        Authors         : Andrew Lee Newton
                          Scott Hollenbeck
	Filename        : draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-11.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2014-07-30

Abstract:
   This document describes uniform patterns to construct HTTP URLs that
   may be used to retrieve registration information from registries
   (including both Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) and Domain Name
   Registries (DNRs)) using "RESTful" web access patterns.

Normative Reference Note

   Normative references to RFC 7231 and draft-ietf-httpbis-http2 can be
   replaced with a reference to RFC 2616 if draft-ietf-httpbis-http2 is
   still a work in progress when this document is ready for publication.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:59:34 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: weirds [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of internet-
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:55 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-11.txt
> 
> 

The most significant change in this version is replacement of .well-known with our bootstrap approach. Other bits:

Tickets addressed: 7, 13, 15, 19, 25

Tickets not addressed: 8, 9, 10, 11, 29

I need more guidance on WG consensus WRT the tickets that I didn't address.

Scott

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2014 19:26:51 -0000

>Tickets not addressed: 8, 9, 10, 11, 29

Nos. 8, 9, 10 are from Andy.  Andy?

No. 11 is about a flag for just saying whether a thing exists or not.
I think we agreed that the ordinary http HEAD command would do what we
wanted, no new mechanism needed.

No. 29 is a meta-question about no. 9, query for nameserver by IP
address.  I'm with Andy here, use a syntax like /domains?nsIp=YYYYY.

The answer is whatever glue records for that IP the server's policy
allows it to return.  For domains that publish zone files, this is
already in the zone file so they shouldn't have a problem returning
data they're already publishing.  For domains that don't publish zone
files, they'd probably refuse with a 4xx code.

R's,
John