Subject: [weirds] Ted Lemon's No Objection on draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-11: (with COMMENT)

From: "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:40:33 -0700

Ted Lemon has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-11: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-json-response/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Point 1:

In 4.3:
   It is the job of the clients to determine line breaks, spacing and
   display issues for sentences within the character strings of the
   "description" array.  Each string in the "description" array contains
   a single complete division of human readable text indicating to
   clients where there are semantic breaks.

What do you mean by "semantic breaks"?   Paragraph breaks?   Sentence
breaks?   Dependent clause breaks?   This doesn't make sense.   I'm not
going to raise a discuss on it because I don't think it affects
interoperability, but I have no idea how to implement a client to display
this in a way that will make sense to the user.

Point 2:

A general question that occurred to me in reading 5.5, which also applies
to 5.4: should you have some text talking about how the link member of a
network or autnum object is generated?  Both networks and autnum objects,
as I understand it, can be gotten by querying any number in the range
they enclose.   But of course the link member isn't going to enumerate
all the possible queries that could return the particular object
containing that link member.   So how is the value that's returned
chosen?  Is it the lowest number in the range?   The number that was used
in the query that returned the object?   Some other number?

I don't think you need to change anything, but it might be worth
discussing this in sections 5.4 and 5.5.