Subject: [weirds] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-14

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 23:59:20 -0500

Summary: Ready for Last Call, needs a few small changes, and I have a 
few questions.

I don't think any of these issues are controversial. Addressing them 
should be quite quick, and then I'm happy to Last Call. (If the timing 
is such that you can't do a rev in short order, I can Last Call it 
as-is, but would prefer to get the changes.)

2 - A reference to using-http should probably appear pretty close to the 
top of this section.

    The patterns described in this document purposefully do not encompass
    all of the methods employed in the WHOIS and RESTful web services of
    all of the RIRs and DNRs.

and

    It is also envisioned that each
    registry will continue to maintain WHOIS and/or RESTful web services

Don't you mean "other web services", not "RESTful web services", in each 
of these places? RDAP-over-HTTP is the RESTful web service in this 
context, isn't it?

Suggest changing "JSON [RFC7159] result formatting and processing" to 
"The specification of these entities". The current wording is a bit awkward.

3 - Suggest changing "For entities: Retrieve a base URL for the service" 
to "For entities, a base URL is retrieved for the service" and changing 
"For help: Retrieve a base URL for any service" to "For help, a base URL 
for any service".

3.1.1 - I think you can s/[RFC1166]/dotted-decimal here.

3.1.3/3.1.4 -

    Internationalized domain names represented in
    either A-label or U-label format [RFC5890] are also valid domain
    names.

Please add on to the end, "See section 4 for information on character 
encoding for the U-label format."

4 - I think you should swap sections 4.1 and 4.2. The reference to 
section 4 from 3.1.3, 3.1.4, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2 should lead the reader to 
the encoding stuff right away. I think it's more useful to have 4.2 
appear first. Or you could move all (or most) of 4.2 into section 6 and 
then refer to it there.

4.2 - You may want to add to the second paragraph:

    UTF-8 encoded strings are then appropriately percent-encoded
    [RFC3986] in the query URL.

and then maybe start the third paragraph with "After parsing any 
percent-encoding, ". Maybe check with some URLy people about whether I 
got the wording right.

6. I don't really understand the normative reference to 4290. Why is 
this normative?

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 12:22:34 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: weirds [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Pete Resnick
> Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 12:59 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [weirds] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-14
> 

I'd much rather go to last call with all known issues addressed. I'll rev the doc.

> 2 - A reference to using-http should probably appear pretty close to

OK.

> of these places? RDAP-over-HTTP is the RESTful web service in this

I think that's true, but I vaguely recall Andy saying that ARIN had something else going on, too. Maybe he can chime in to confirm. "other web services" seems safe no matter what.

> "The specification of these entities". The current wording is a bit

OK.

> "For help: Retrieve a base URL for any service" to "For help, a base

OK.

> 3.1.1 - I think you can s/[RFC1166]/dotted-decimal here.

OK.

OK.

> appear first. Or you could move all (or most) of 4.2 into section 6 and

I'll move 4.2 to Section 6 (where it will become 6.1) and refer to it appropriately.

> percent-encoding, ". Maybe check with some URLy people about whether I

OK.

> 6. I don't really understand the normative reference to 4290. Why is

It shouldn't be since we're only referencing it for descriptive purposes. I'll make it an Informative reference.

Scott

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 13:23:07 +0000

On 10/7/14, 8:22 AM, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I think that's true, but I vaguely recall Andy saying that ARIN had
>something else going on, too. Maybe he can chime in to confirm. "other
>web services" seems safe no matter what.

Yes, both ARIN and RIPE NCC have RESTful web services for Whois that
predate RDAP. The intent was that we were not trying to replicate all that
can be done with those services.

I think ³Šemployed in the WHOIS and other RESTful web servicesŠ² would fix
it.

-andy

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 11:37:34 -0500

> I'd much rather go to last call with all known issues addressed. I'll rev the doc.

Just looked at the rev with Andy's suggested change. All looks good. 
Ready to go.

pr