Subject: .well-known/openorg

From: Christopher Gutteridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 17:25:23 +0100

Hi, we've been using the above well-known in a pilot project for open 
data autodiscovery and it seems to work well.

It's been implemented by a few UK universities already.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://hal.dmu.ac.uk/subsites/opd/dmu.ttl
https://www.cam.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/.well-known/openorg

We allow an alternate option of specifying a <link rel='openorg'> 
element in the homepage. It is easier for some orgs to alter their 
template, others their webserver config.

The primary driver for this is to autodiscover open data about research 
equipment to create the website http://equipment.data.ac.uk/ but we are 
encouraging people to extend the use into other applications. The site 
http://opd.data.ac.uk/ provides documentation and tools to help people 
get it right, and http://opd.data.ac.uk/docs/auto explains how to set up 
autodiscovery.

We feel this approach is complimentary to /.well-known/void as "openorg" 
is intended to discover data about the organisation for which this is 
the homepage, and "void" is intended to discover linked datasets on a 
webserver.

It would be good to get around to formally registering the 'openorg' 
.well-known officially. We're excited about the long term possibilities.

-- 
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 15:03:45 +1000

Hi Christopher,

That seems reasonable. I need a contact address for the registration - should I use yours, or do you have one that represents the project?

Regards,

P.S. Registering the link relation should be relatively straightforward as well; see:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.2.1

> On 15 May 2015, at 2:25 am, Christopher Gutteridge <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi, we've been using the above well-known in a pilot project for open data autodiscovery and it seems to work well.
> 
> We allow an alternate option of specifying a <link rel='openorg'> element in the homepage. It is easier for some orgs to alter their template, others their webserver config.
> 
> The primary driver for this is to autodiscover open data about research equipment to create the website http://equipment.data.ac.uk/ but we are encouraging people to extend the use into other applications. The site http://opd.data.ac.uk/ provides documentation and tools to help people get it right, and http://opd.data.ac.uk/docs/auto explains how to set up autodiscovery.
> 
> We feel this approach is complimentary to /.well-known/void as "openorg" is intended to discover data about the organisation for which this is the homepage, and "void" is intended to discover linked datasets on a webserver.
> 
> It would be good to get around to formally registering the 'openorg' .well-known officially. We're excited about the long term possibilities.
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> _______________________________________________
> wellknown-uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wellknown-uri-review

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Christopher Gutteridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:16:22 +0100

Yes, just use my University one: [email-masked]

Thanks for the tip on link relations. I'll do that.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 12:21:42 +1000

IANA,

The following entry into the registry of Well-Known URIs <https://www.iana.org/assignments/well-known-uris/well-known-uris.xhtml> is approved:

  URI suffix: openorg
  Change controller: [email-masked]
  Specification document(s): http://opd.data.ac.uk/
  Related information:  

Regards,

> On 22 May 2015, at 1:16 am, Christopher Gutteridge <[email-masked]> wrote:
>