Subject: Question: well-known URI registration for a non-public specification

From: "Dijk, Esko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:55:23 +0000

Dear reviewers,

On behalf of Thread Group (www.threadgroup.org<http://www.threadgroup.org>) I'm investigating the registration of the URI /.well-known/thread , to be used in the Thread protocol which is defined by this organisation. However the specification is non-public. Is it possible to register for a well-known URI as per RFC 5785 in the "Well-known URIs" registry?

The RFC text states "Specification document(s):  Reference to the document that specifies the field" , which would be a reference to a non-public document only available to members. Such as "The Thread specification 1.x as defined by Thread Group, accessible to members, 2016" would be the reference. On the other hand all current entries seem to point to public specifications by URL though this is not strictly required according to the RFC.

best regards,

Esko Dijk
Senior scientist / Connectivity architect
Philips Lighting Research

High Tech Campus 34, 5656 AE  Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 6 55408986, Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.research.philips.com<http://www.research.philips.com/>

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 12:08:09 +1000

Hi Esko,

As per Section 5.1, the registry has a policy of "Specification Required", defined in RFC5226:

"""
      Specification Required - Values and their meanings must be
            documented in a permanent and readily available public
            specification, in sufficient detail so that interoperability
            between independent implementations is possible.  When used,
            Specification Required also implies use of a Designated
            Expert, who will review the public specification and
            evaluate whether it is sufficiently clear to allow
            interoperable implementations.  The intention behind
            "permanent and readily available" is that a document can
            reasonably be expected to be findable and retrievable long
            after IANA assignment of the requested value.  Publication
            of an RFC is an ideal means of achieving this requirement,
            but Specification Required is intended to also cover the
            case of a document published outside of the RFC path.  For
            RFC publication, the normal RFC review process is expected
            to provide the necessary review for interoperability, though
            the Designated Expert may be a particularly well-qualified
            person to perform such a review.
"""

Regards,

> On 27 May 2016, at 7:55 PM, Dijk, Esko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear reviewers,
>  
> On behalf of Thread Group (www.threadgroup.org) I'm investigating the registration of the URI /.well-known/thread , to be used in the Thread protocol which is defined by this organisation. However the specification is non-public. Is it possible to register for a well-known URI as per RFC 5785 in the "Well-known URIs" registry?
>  
> Tel: +31 6 55408986, Email: [email-masked]
> www.research.philips.com
>  
> 
> _______________________________________________
> wellknown-uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wellknown-uri-review

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/