Subject: Re: What is exactly, the procedure for killing a WG document ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:15:18 -0400

You ask a great question.  How DO you deal with uncooperative authors. 
Right now we are ok, but in the past we went to the AD's for help.  NOt 
that I am saying you should rush right there, but I believe that is one of 
their roles - to act as an intermediary for disputes.  But they have a lot 
on their plates, so I'm curious what other group chairs do.  If they are 
disruptive, I think that's where we as chairs are supposed to intercede 
and halt the problem.  That gets tricky so I'd be interested in what other 
people do.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Ólafur Guðmundsson <[email-masked]>
10/18/01 10:57 AM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        What is exactly, the procedure for killing a WG document ?

I have in the recent past wanted to kill a working group document.
I think I know how to do it, but I would like to see on the wgchair
Web page instructions on how to approve and purging working group
documents.

How do you deal with uncooperative authors ?

                 Olafur

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:28:35 -0700

> You ask a great question.  How DO you deal with uncooperative authors. 

this is why the wg has change control per 2026.  replace them.  after all
reasonable negotiation has been tried, of course.

randy

---

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:49:53 -0700

Hmmm...
Maybe I should watch this discussion carefully.  I have a WG that has 3
drafts covering the same topic, so it is almost similar... How do I pick the
author/group of authors for the WG draft.  This becomes especially
interesting if you throw in the fact that several of the authors don't like
several of the other authors (hence the multiple drafts)

My understanding is that the WG Chair has the authority to appoint editors
(note there aren't really authors anymore).  From that point you can just
tell your uncooperative editor either s/he will do it the WG way (because
you have WG consensus to do it that way) or they will be replaced by someone
that will reflect WG consensus.  You will want to talk to your AD before you
do this 1) To get their wisdom on doing this well. 2) Informing him there
will be a dispute headed their way.

Bill
+========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
Bill Strahm     Software Development is a race between Programmers
Member of the   trying to build bigger and better idiot proof software
Technical Staff and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better
[email-masked] idiots.
(503) 601-0263  So far the Universe is winning --- Rich Cook

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 8:15 AM
To: Ólafur Guðmundsson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: What is exactly, the procedure for killing a WG document ?

You ask a great question.  How DO you deal with uncooperative authors.
Right now we are ok, but in the past we went to the AD's for help.  NOt that
I am saying you should rush right there, but I believe that is one of their
roles - to act as an intermediary for disputes.  But they have a lot on
their plates, so I'm curious what other group chairs do.  If they are
disruptive, I think that's where we as chairs are supposed to intercede and
halt the problem.  That gets tricky so I'd be interested in what other
people do.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

        To:        [email-masked]
        cc:
        Subject:        What is exactly, the procedure for killing a WG
document ?

                Olafur