Subject: RE: A page 4 U

From: "Presuhn, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:25:41 -0500

Hi -

> From: Steve Coya [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 08:45
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: A page 4 U
...
> Let me know what you think, and if there are other links you 
> would like
> (note: this invitation is NOT for IESG members :-).... it's for the WG
> Chairs.
...

A nice collection of useful stuff.  Thanks!
One thing I'd like to see is some words on how to handle
postings to WG mailing lists which contain disclaimers
making IPR assertions about the posting content which
are at odds with the "Note Well" rules.  There was some
discussion of this a few weeks ago, but I don't recall
a clear resolution.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:39:22 -0700

This is interesting, because my understanding is some companies have started
putting said disclaimers on all outgoing messages, with no control from the
sender...

I especially like the tidbit, if you are not the intended recipient please
delete ALL copies of the mail... Heck I don't have rights on the server, the
firewall, the Intrusion Detection systems, the tape backups (and the list
goes on)

Bill
+========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
Bill Strahm     Software Development is a race between Programmers
Member of the   trying to build bigger and better idiot proof software
Technical Staff and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better
[email-masked] idiots.
(503) 601-0263  So far the Universe is winning --- Rich Cook

-----Original Message-----
From: Presuhn, Randy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 10:26 AM
To: 'Steve Coya'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: A page 4 U

Hi -

...
...

---

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:15:54 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.
 
But if a message containing such a disclaimer does arrive, consider the
following:

1. If such a message is addressed to the WG, the "if you are not the
   designated recipient" does NOT apply

2. If the message is addressed to the WG, the note well text states that
   the assumption is that the content is a contribution to the IETF.

Steve

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Bill Strahm wrote:

>>Bill Strahm Software Development is a race between Programmers Member of
>>the trying to build bigger and better idiot proof software Technical
>>Staff and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better
>>[email-masked] idiots.  (503) 601-0263 So far the Universe is winning
>>--- Rich Cook
>>
>>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:34:14 -0700

> I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.

nor am i

> But if a message containing such a disclaimer does arrive, consider the

i hit delete imeediately, regardless of circumstances.  and, in particular,
i do not approve such messages for moderated mailing lists.

randy