Subject: Hosting of bugzilla on ietf.org?

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:08:48 -0800 (PST)

I'm looking into hosting a bugzilla database in order to help track
specification issues. Several other WG chairs also mentioned using this. 

I could host this myself, or get an ISP to host it, but if it's the kind
of thing that other chairs would use too, it might make more sense for the
IETF to host it, so we could leverage the install work. Plus, it would
seem that hosting it at IETF would give us better immunity against the
site going down unexpectedly (lots of IETF-related websites vanished with
the perishing of @HOME). 

It doesn't need much to run: PERL, mySQL. 

What do people think?

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:24:57 -0500

I think this is a great idea. We've been using bugzilla to manage the
SIP specification, and it has been a lifesaver. Having a centralized
place for it would allow consistent tracking of specification issues,
and a way for IESG/IAB to take a look at how and when decisions were
made when such information is needed.

I plan on writing an I-D on the process mechanisms we used for the SIP
spec (also includes extensive CVS usage), as there are some details
which require attention. We made some mistakes in bugzilla usage that
would be helpful to share.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:50:05 -0600

SIP WG has been using bugzilla to track changes to the SIP spec and open
issues.  This has been very useful.

--
Dean

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:42:54 -0800

A number of W3C WGs use an XSLT stylesheet to transform XML markup of
issues into HTML... it would be easy to have text output (for
e-mail) as well. For example:
  http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html
  http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.xml
  http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues-html.xsl

This is a simpler solution (bugzilla is very complex), easier to
integrate into other processes, and pretty easy to maintain. I've
been meaning to prepare an IETF-specific stylesheet and DTD, I'll be
happy to mail it around when it's ready if there's interest.

-- 
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:59:24 -0800

Bernard's message has apparently attracted a lot of interest. IMC has 
set up a mailing list to discuss the use of Bugzilla in the IETF. To 
subscribe, send a message to [email-masked] with the body 
"subscribe ietf-bugzilla". IMC is also happy to contribute hardware 
and bandwidth to the project.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:19:22 -0800

Execellent idea. And I agree, the IETF should host it.

Dave

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:30:49 -0500

> happy to mail it around when it's ready if there's interest.

I would fine Bugzilla easier to use than any form of XML.
Clearly your mileage varies.

Ran

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:39:18 -0500

Bugzilla would be a useful tool.  I also recommend hosting at ietf.org if possible. Good idea.
-joe

---

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:53:04 -0500

Great for bugzilla.   I'll go with XML as well.

Sue