Subject: RE: Hosting of bugzilla on ietf.org?

From: "Awduche, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:28:50 -0500

Bernard,

Excellent initiative! If properly structured, the 'specifications 
issues database' (SID) could be beneficial in improving the quality 
and utility of existing specs as they progress through the standards 
process, and in establishing a concrete history of caveats and 
idioms for future specifications.

The IETF should definitely host it. 

Cheers,
/Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Hosting of bugzilla on ietf.org?

I'm looking into hosting a bugzilla database in order to help track
specification issues. Several other WG chairs also mentioned using this. 

I could host this myself, or get an ISP to host it, but if it's the kind
of thing that other chairs would use too, it might make more sense for the
IETF to host it, so we could leverage the install work. Plus, it would
seem that hosting it at IETF would give us better immunity against the
site going down unexpectedly (lots of IETF-related websites vanished with
the perishing of @HOME). 

It doesn't need much to run: PERL, mySQL. 

What do people think?

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:32:55 -0500

Bugzilla is a great fit for tracking specification problems.

Are you considering a database just for tracking IAB/IESG level
issues, or a tool working groups could use while they were developing
documents? The later would come with significantly larger administrative
overhead. If this is the route you are considering (and I hope it is) I
would
strongly recommend an instance-per-wg approach so that you can delegate 
administration and limit the impact of failure of a given instance.

RjS

> Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 3:09 PM
> To: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:37:54 -0600

It would be useful to have such a tool available to all WGs.

-Basavaraj

> From: ext Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]