Subject: Separating references

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

Is separating references into normative and non-normative required for
informational RFCs?

Quote from http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html: "An RFC cannot be
published until all of the documents that it lists as normative
references have been published."  Is this true for informational RFCs?

Thanks,
Kireeti.

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

the seperation is a good idea for all RFCs - it helps the RFC Editor
know what docs this RFC needs to wait for (yes normative references
can happen in info RFCs and the rfc editor will block waiting for them)
but it also helps the general reader understand what they need to 
understand

Scott

----