Subject: Separating references

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

Is separating references into normative and non-normative required for
informational RFCs?

Quote from http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html: "An RFC cannot be
published until all of the documents that it lists as normative
references have been published."  Is this true for informational RFCs?

Thanks,
Kireeti.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:08:13 +0300

Hi Scott,

> the seperation is a good idea for all RFCs - it helps the RFC Editor
> know what docs this RFC needs to wait for (yes normative references
> can happen in info RFCs and the rfc editor will block waiting 
> for them) but it also helps the general reader understand what they 
> need to understand

Is this also the case in Informational RFCs?  I can see a case why you
might want to have seperation - but it is a little less clear for 
non-standards track documents.

Thanks,
John