Subject: RE: Chatroom feedback in a WG session?

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:30:24 -0400

FWIW,

The W3C uses IRC in their plenary meetings.  The scribe types in minutes
live (so remote users can see what is going on) and both remote and local
attendees join in on the chat.  An IRC proxy goes to the mike every so often
with a question posed on IRC.  This mode seems to work at W3C and is
probably worth trying - but they have staff that are assigned to run IRC and
be the scribes, proxies, etc.  If the chair was in charge of running this or
if it was shown on another monitor, I believe it would distract the meeting.

In any case, I will provisionally volunteer the LEMONADE BOF (possibly WG)
if you'd like a small trial group (we should get the other co-chair and the
mailing list to agree first :-).

Cheers,
Glenn.

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:37:14 -0700

> mailing list to agree first :-).

well, now that we're in volunteer phase. here's what i suggest:
    
randy - get some folks to volunteer to do the email thing for a few wgs.
    
i'll volunteer to do transcribing for a jabber conference for the
following wgs:
    
    apparea
    opes
    dccp
    webdav
    ieprep
    crisp
    impp
    
i suppose there's no harm in having multiple transcribers/protocols in a
room, so just 'cause i'm offering to transcribe, doesn't mean that
someone else can't be doing it as well...
    
/mtr

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:52:21 -0400

Following up on an earlier suggestion about using e-mail to capture a 
record of the meeting - is it possible to capture the jabber conference as 
an aid to the preparation of meeting minutes?  Seems like at least the 
moderators transcription, if not the remote participants feedback, might be 
useful...

Also, can we set up a public facility for presentation (PowerPoint, etc.) 
sharing prior to the WG meeting, so remote participants can follow along 
with the presentation?

- Ralph

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:58:35 -0700

> moderators transcription, if not the remote participants feedback, might be 

most conference rooms run with a chatbot which, among other things do logging.

> sharing prior to the WG meeting, so remote participants can follow along 

harald - if you want to try this out, we need to make a couple of decisions. since i think we can view this as an experiment, i suggest we go for whatever is "easiest".

1. we can either let each wg chair find an area where their speakers can put talks (preferrably html, not powerpoint) prior to the meeting; or we can ask the secretariat to set up an email address where stuff can be mailed to. 

2. i run a jabber server, and shouldn't have any problem getting N or (2*N) rooms setup prior to the meeting.

but, i don't run an irc server. glenn - can you arrange something?

if we're doing randy's email experiment too, then i can setup some reflectors (or he can).

3. for the "interactive" things like jabber and irc, does it make sense to have N or 2*N rooms? in the 2*N case, N would be "official", likely to be put up on the screen at any time, and the other N would be "sidebar". of course, nothing prevents anyone from setting up their own sidebars independent of the N or 2*N.

4. can the secretariat supply some kvm switches/cables? 

/mtr

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:37:23 -0500

> sharing prior to the WG meeting, so remote participants can 

I normally try and get people to submit presentations in advance, then
post them on the wg supplemental web page. Of course, getting people to
submit slides in advance is HARD -- they're usually still working on
them right up to the minute they talk. I wouldn't mind seeing the
expectations here change.

--
Dean