Subject: Re: Chatroom feedback in a WG session?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:07:48 +0200

Marshall,
since my initial call was for one session, this seems like a very good 
start of an experiment indeed!

--On 30. september 2002 18:58 -0700 Marshall Rose <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> 1. we can either let each wg chair find an area where their speakers can
> put talks (preferrably html, not powerpoint) prior to the meeting; or we
> can ask the secretariat to set up an email address where stuff can be
> mailed to.

Randy - as part of the tech team, do you know if it is easy to set up an 
FTP area on one of the machines that "are there anyway"?
>
> 2. i run a jabber server, and shouldn't have any problem getting N or
> (2*N) rooms setup prior to the meeting.

I take it you want to set up rooms ahead of time? And provide logger robots 
for all of the "official" rooms where someone does transcripts?

Offer accepted!

Are you intending to do this for *all* WGs, or just for the WGs that you 
offered to do real-time typing for earlier?

>
> but, i don't run an irc server. glenn - can you arrange something?
>
> if we're doing randy's email experiment too, then i can setup some
> reflectors (or he can).
>
> 3. for the "interactive" things like jabber and irc, does it make sense
> to have N or 2*N rooms? in the 2*N case, N would be "official", likely to
> be put up on the screen at any time, and the other N would be "sidebar".
> of course, nothing prevents anyone from setting up their own sidebars
> independent of the N or 2*N.

My preference would be for 2N rooms, but that's a guesstimate. We would 
probably have to have the "official room" have a watcher who spends lots of 
time ushering people into the "sidebar" room.
>
> 4. can the secretariat supply some kvm switches/cables?

I know the secretariat has one KVM switch with cables (we use it for the 
plenaries). So we can put this in one of the multicast rooms for a start.

Note - some people claim that VNC (GNUware) is a software only solution 
capable of acting as a "poor man's KVM". I haven't used it, so can't tell 
from my own experience.

This is getting to be a quite interesting exercise....

                Harald

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:35:38 +0900

> FTP area on one of the machines that "are there anyway"?

we could.  but will we have a betting arrangement on how soon it will
have warez?

randy

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:47:53 -0700

> start of an experiment indeed!

sure.

> offered to do real-time typing for earlier?

it's easy enough to do this for all WGs that meet in atlanta. what i
propose is this: 
    
1. for each WG that meets, there will be two conference rooms ("main" and
"sidebar"), plus a URL containing the transcripts for both rooms.
    
2. it will be upto each chair to recruit someone in the audience who has a
laptop/wi-fi/jabber-client to be the scribe who summarize things on the
main conference room.
    
3. the secretariat will setup a download area for each working group,
using whatever mechanisms are easiest for them. the only thing i ask is
that people be able to upload things during the week of the meeting
(i.e., it should be possible for me to submit something on monday that
i'm going to present to a wg on tuesday.)
    
4. whenever a presenter starts in a meeting, the scribe reminds people
what the wg download url is, so remote participants can get a copy and
follow along.
    
5. during q&a, the chair may choose to run a jabber client on the laptop
driving the projector. to make it easier for the chair to run the
meeting, i suggest that the scribe sitting in the audience still do the
summary thing for the chair.

6. ideally, i would like to include a half-page of instructions both
printed in the participants' packages and on the website that says
things like:
    
    here's the list of conference rooms.
    here's the list of transcript and download URLs.
    if you're not already running jabber, here are the three things you
    need to do.

we should probably ask each WG chair to send it to their mailing list
right after the agenda closes. this would be useful, e.g., in recruiting
a scribe before the actual meeting.
    
/mtr

ps: you're right: we really don't need kvms to make this work. at this
point, i think i'd leave it upto each chair to decide how to make use of
this. afterwards, we can compare notes and see what seems to work best.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:05:12 -0400

>it's easy enough to do this for all WGs that meet in atlanta. what i

Could we try this for a few WGs and get a report on how it works
before we try to roll it out to all WGs?

Margaret

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:52:41 -0700

> before we try to roll it out to all WGs?

the "cost" of doing 1, 2, or N WGs is the same. so it doesn't make any sense to limit it.

if a WG doesn't want to make use of it, that's fine...it's not mandatory.

/mtr