Subject: [Fwd: Jabber/text conferencing SACRED]

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:47:02 +0000

Experiments should have outcomes, so here's how a remote attendee
to the sacred wg found the use of jabber - overall quite good.

Stephen.

-- 
____________________________________________________________
Stephen Farrell         				   
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:[email-masked]
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com

Subject: Re: Jabber/text conferencing SACRED
From: Dale Gustafson <[email-masked]>
To: "Nystrom, Magnus" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:48:57 -0600

Yes, I did listen in.

FWIW, I had some difficulty downloading the Jabber client and getting
it to talk to any of the advertised servers.  Should have tried this
a day or two before the scheduled meeting but you know how that goes.
Downloaded and installed just fine but the program kept crashing each time
I attempted 1st server connect.  Apparently if there are any errors
during that first contact with a server, you have to find the right sequence
to recover through trial and error.  Not really commercial grade stuff
yet but pretty good once you get past that step.

The messages from Marshall were very clear and easy to understand.
Since he's one of the best technical authors in the business, that's not
front-page news.  However, I think in the future it'll be necessary
to consistently recruit a volunteer scribe who knows both the technical
subject matter and the well-known cast of characters.  I didn't recognize
all of the people listed in the running dialog -- didn't register with
me immediately that "rlbob" is Bob Morgan ...

It was hard for me to sense that the meeting was going to complete in
only 30 minutes.  Had I known that, I'd have been more ready with
a question to send in, as well.  For example, Stephen or someone else
raised a question about protocol inter-op testing that I wanted to ask
about.  Most others had left the online session before I could send
something in.

Not sure how this compares to a conference call as far as cost goes
but it was an "OK" experience in light of the travel costs and time on-the-road
that I was able to avoid this time.

"Nystrom, Magnus" wrote:

Were you able to listen in, Dale? How did it go?

-- Magnus

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Magnus Nystrom wrote:

> Yes, starts 5 pm EST.

> -- Magnus

> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Dale Gustafson wrote:

> > Looks like the meeting is at 5:00 pm this afternoon (4:00 pm my
time).

> > --dg

> > Dale Gustafson wrote:

> >       Thanks.

> >       --dg

> >       "Nystrom, Magnus" wrote:

Hi Dale,

We will attempt to try it, Marshall will be the scribe. Interested in

hearing your comments afterwards, if you are able to attend.

I am attaching draft versions of the presentations in case we run out of

time to upload them to some publicly available place.

Thanks,

-- Magnus

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: sacred.ppt

sacred.ppt    Type: Microsoft PowerPoint Show (APPLICATION/vnd.ms-powerpoint)

Encoding: BASE64

Name: sacred-protocol.ppt

sacred-protocol.ppt    Type: Microsoft PowerPoint Show

(APPLICATION/vnd.ms-powerpoint)

Encoding: BASE64