Subject: Re: Input solicited: IETF problem pinpointing at the plenary?

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:50:28 -0800

Harald,

>> What do you think of the idea? Who wants to work with me on this?

As you know, I think this is a fine idea, and I'd be glad to help.
Issues just off the top of my head (which isn't working all that
well right now), are the common "why does it take so long for
<X>" (choose your <X>); this may very well translate to IESG
(and/or RFC editor) workload. Another, less frequently mentioned
problem (IMO) is quality. That is, it is my perception (and that
of many) that the overall quality of our work has degraded over
time. On possible factor contributing to this phenomena is the
aforementioned IESG (or RFC ed) workload, but there are other
factors as well. Frank alluded to a few of them.

Dave

---

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:34:46 -0800

I am also a believer in "Sunshine" which is to say that I believe that
the IETF process and by extension the IESG sub-process should be as
transparent as possible.

I also agree that DISCUSS comments from an AD should be published.

The issue we run into is whether or not the identity of the objecting AD
be revealed. The argument in favor of keeping that knowledge
confidential is that it focuses the WG on their own AD, who should act
as a go-between. The fear is that the objecting AD will be "ganged up"
on by people he or she isn't that comfortable with (i.e., people that
potentially they don't interact with regularly). As a Security AD, I
have certainly been in this position more then a few time (because when
a Security objection is raised everyone knows by whom! [though sob also
raises good security points]) and it is not fun.

Unfortunately this indirect go-between process often adds delay.

Having said all that, I believe that people who serve on the IESG should
be grown up boys and girls who should be able to take the heat, it comes
with the job. Once upon a time (years ago) I even proposed audio
multicasting the IESG telechats!

Btw. The draft-tracker will likely help enormously. We have been using
it internally, and it has been a big help for us (the work load of the
IESG is sufficiently large that even the people responsible for carrying
out the process couldn't keep track of it all).

			-Jeff