Subject: some comments from a draft editor's perspective (was: Input solicited: IETF problem pinpointing at the plenary?)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:13:51 +0200

Hi all,

A few points from the perspective from a draft editor.

1) IESG comments can be helpful, but often they are cryptic & hard
	to understand.  Ability to engage IESG for follow-up discussion
	would be useful.

2) I am not a security expert, so having concrete suggestions with
	references for further reading would be helpful.

3) Some policies are undocumented, so it is difficult to understand
	why the policies are being imposed (for example, on extensibility).

4) I don't have the depth of experience as the IESG, so pointers to
	prior art always help.

5) Document editor training (as someone suggested) would be a good idea.
	Especially, indoctrination in to good IETF policies & Internet
	architecture is a good thing.

Finally, I think the ID tracker is a very good thing & I think it will
make my life easier.

Final suggestion as a WG chair - invited speakers to WG meetings to help
the WG see the bigger picture (think of Steeve Deering's talk to the
SeaMoby WG in MPLS) is a very good thing. 

John

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:19:38 +0100

> Finally, I think the ID tracker is a very good thing & I think it will

Thank you, thank you.

Just don't forget that:

When this is released to the public (very soon I hope, like next week) 
we (IESG) need help from you wg chairs to see that people in the wg 
check the status of the documents, and come in with complaints.

I personally want one mail per document people have complaints about, 
with the name of the I-D in the subject line. That way it is easy to 
see already on the subject what things is about.

I.e. next step will be to see that the information in the tracker is 
correct. We are to change the map if it differs from the reality and 
not the other way around. Hard work, lot of work.

So, if you or someone else in your wg see some errors, send one mail 
per I-D to your favorite AD, name of draft in subject, and let us know.

      paf