Subject: RE: possible plenary item: IESG process flow

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 07:16:24 +0200

Hi Harald,

> after all, it took the IESG a year or more of sometimes-heated discussion 
> (and many, many revisions!) to figure out how its process could be captured 
> in a state diagram, so it's not surprising that it's not intuitively 
> obvious to an outsider.....

Yup, you seemed to have hit the nail on the head.  One request, though. If the
IESG could document the process better - by making meeting reports, at least
at some level, so that the outsiders could at least see that something is
happening, if not also being able to be part of any eventual solution.

thanks,
John

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:59:41 +0100

--On tirsdag, november 05, 2002 07:16:24 +0200 [email-masked] 
wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
>> after all, it took the IESG a year or more of sometimes-heated
>> discussion  (and many, many revisions!) to figure out how its process
>> could be captured  in a state diagram, so it's not surprising that it's
>> not intuitively  obvious to an outsider.....
>
> Yup, you seemed to have hit the nail on the head.  One request, though.
> If the IESG could document the process better - by making meeting
> reports, at least at some level, so that the outsiders could at least see
> that something is happening, if not also being able to be part of any
> eventual solution.

we'll have to think about that - not only the principle, but how we would 
do it in practice.

traditionally, we've only minuted (http://ftp.ietf.org/iesg/) decisions, 
not discussions (although I at least managed to get the secretariat to note 
in the minutes when we had discussed documents and NOT made a final 
determination, as well as our running TODO list).

And we've never published minutes from breakfasts, retreats, subgroup phone 
calls or email discussions.........