Subject: possible plenary item: IESG process flow

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:25:11 -0800

Harald-

Since there seems to be a great deal of interest in increasing the
'transparency' of the IETF process, a possible supplement to the ID
tracker would be a plenary presentation (or ID) walking through the
IESG process flow.  Noting the last rev date on the diagram is still
fairly recent, you might obtain some useful input (to clarify or
revise) from an ensuing discussion.

--aaron

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:10:50 -0600

Aaron suggested
> Since there seems to be a great deal of interest in 
> increasing the 'transparency' of the IETF process, a possible 
> supplement to the ID tracker would be a plenary presentation 
> (or ID) walking through the IESG process flow.  Noting the 
> last rev date on the diagram is still fairly recent, you 
> might obtain some useful input (to clarify or

I really like this suggestion. I'm all the time getting yelled at by my
ID because I characterize some draft as "in AD review" when it's really
in "Pre AD review" or "IESG Discuss Posted" or some other phase that, is
to the best of my knowledge, not actually documented anywhere useful
(like maybe RFC 2026).

So, in addition to training the current troops, I'd suggest DOCUMENTING
the process so each new generation has the option of reading about it --
or, if it actually IS documented, pointing it out.

--
Dean

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 19:37:38 -0500

> or, if it actually IS documented, pointing it out.

poke around with this system some more; a bunch of on-line help is
available including a state diagram and explanations of each state..

					- Bill

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 05:50:43 +0100

> revise) from an ensuing discussion.

that's a good idea. we can still modify the plenary agenda any way we want.

after all, it took the IESG a year or more of sometimes-heated discussion 
(and many, many revisions!) to figure out how its process could be captured 
in a state diagram, so it's not surprising that it's not intuitively 
obvious to an outsider.....

              Harald