Subject: RE: Directorates (was: Formalizing design teams)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:51:00 -0600

>Directorates serve at the pleasure of the ADs who form them, so it is
>really up to the ADs to decide how they want to organize them. The
>intent of directorates is to act as a kind of organized staff for an
>AD. I don't see much need for adding any additional requirements on
>the ADs for forming a directorate, unless we want to change the
>current intent of directorates and make them more formal, which I am
>not sure would be such a good idea, since it would add an additional 
>layer of management.

I agree. I did not mean to suggest adding another layer of management
for the IESG folks. I was merely re-echoing what has been suggested
earlier of having such a group available to ADs for I-D review,
charter reviews etc. that will help in easing up to some extent the
time pressures. But the existence and use of such a directorate for
reviews and the outcomes of such reviews should be made publicly
available. 

>            jak

-BP