Subject: RE: Directorates (was: Formalizing design teams)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:18:12 -0600

> 
> Since you raised this matter... perhaps someone could educate 
> me on how and where the IETF uses directorates? There seems to be a couple 
> of open ones, such as the SAAG which I like. Then there may be some much more 
> closed ones. Or is there? Is there a web page somewhere for the directorates or 
> are they explained some RFC?

Well there is a web page that at least lists some of the directorates:

http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/chair/directorates.html

> 
> For instance, I've heard about the "wireless directorate" a couple of times.
> What is that, who is the member and where are its results documented? Or
> maybe its existence has just been a rumor. But search.ietf.org does give
> some hits for it. And what was "IPng directorate", which also gets some hits?

The wireless directorate although not listed at the above URL does exist
although it has become more or less defunct over the last few months. So 
the existence of such a directorate is not mere "rumor" :)

> Anyways, if there is a wireless directorate somewhere, it 
> would be really nice to get some more information from it. I probably work 
> with wireless as much as the next guy, and it'd be quite useful to get some input 
> from such a forum for certain issues.

I believe there is a very good potential for how these directorates can be
used. I think what is really required is a well defined charter and scope 
for these directorates and then they could be used for various purposes such
as I-D reviews, charters etc.

> Jari

-Basavaraj

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:16:17 -0800

> as I-D reviews, charters etc.

Directorates serve at the pleasure of the ADs who form them, so it is really up
to the ADs to decide how they want to organize them. The intent of directorates
is to act as a kind of organized staff for an AD. I don't see much need for
adding any additional requirements on the ADs for forming a directorate, unless
we want to change the current intent of directorates and make them more formal,
which I am not sure would be such a good idea, since it would add an additional
layer of management.

            jak