Subject: Jabber?

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:10:42 -0500

Hi,

Being among those who thought it was a great thing and worked
really well, I was wondering if there will be a continuation
of the experiment at this IETF?

a.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:16:43 +0100

Yes, Marshall intends to provide the same service that he did last IETF.
The details will be forthcoming shortly, he says....

---

From: "The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:21:12 -0700

I've wasted several hours on two occasions trying to get a client installed
for Redhat Linux.  Anyone who done this, please let me know.

Hilarie

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:29:10 -0800

>> for Redhat Linux.  Anyone who done this, please let me know.

	I have, for gabber. More or less you need:

	gabber-0.8.7-1_rh7.i386.rpm
	libsigc++-1.0.4-1.ximian.4.i386.rpm
	libsigc++-devel-1.0.4-1.ximian.4.i386.rpm

	and (I used)

	gnomemm-1.2.2-1.ximian.2.i386.rpm
	gtkmm-1.2.9-1.ximian.1.i386.rpm

	Let me know if you'd other help (like I can make all this
	stuff available for you if you can't otherwise find it).

	Dave

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:40:39 -0500

I'm an OpenBSD user and have had good success with Psi.
They've got source and Linux binary RPMs at
http://psi.affinix.com/.

Melinda

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:02:09 -0800

> The details will be forthcoming shortly, he says....

	 Remote Access for the 56th IETF meeting in San Francisco:
			     Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on

    conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate
    
If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

    platform    suggestion
    --------    ----------
    win32       http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
    'nix        http://gabber.sf.net
    macos       http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if
you want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do
that. 
    
If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here
are pointers to some additional information:
    
    list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
              howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
        server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:
    
    Group/Room: plenary
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no
one will be in it when you connect).
    
1.2. What the Chair does
    
If you want to make text conferencing available, you'll need to have a
volunteer scribe in the meeting room. The scribe will be typing in a
running commentary as to what's going on in the room (who's presenting,
what question is being asked, etc.)
    
So, why not send an email out on the mailing list now, before the
meeting, to ask for volunteers?

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

When a session starts, the chair asks if someone in the room is willing
to act as "scribe". If no one volunteers, read no further, we're done!

Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

    Group/Room: foobar
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the
room. For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along. 

2.4. Where to find the conference log
    
    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/
    
NOTE: the logging facility will not be active until later this week...
    
                                  #######

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:38:22 -0800

> for Redhat Linux.  Anyone who done this, please let me know.

for folks who absolutely can not get something to compile, but who do
have tcl/tk already on their system, you can always use tkabber:
    
    http://www.jabber.ru/projects/tkabber/index_en.html
    
/mtr

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:53:31 +0100

--On mandag, mars 10, 2003 17:21:12 -0700 "The Purple Streak, Hilarie 
Orman" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've wasted several hours on two occasions trying to get a client
> installed for Redhat Linux.  Anyone who done this, please let me know.

The Mandrake distribution I use includes gabber, so "urpmi gabber" works on 
that platform - I don't know what Red Hat includes.

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:09:29 -0600

Gaim, which is installed by default in current redhat releases, seems to
work mostly. You have to go through the menues to enable the jabber plug-in.
By default, it just does AIM. On my installation, the Yahoo plugin core
dumps with some regularity, but the jabber plugin seems ok. I've heard
varying reports on whether Gaim can be made to join a jabber conference

But why struggle with Jabber when you can dance with something far more
entertaining?

Last meeting, several of the folks were successful at using SIP clients with
Jiri Kuthan and iptel.orgs's Jabber/SIP gateway, which I think they will
probably bring back for this meeting. Jiri's stuff is mostly available at
www.iptel.org, so check it out . . .

--
Dean

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The Purple 
> Streak, Hilarie Orman
> Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 6:21 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Jabber?
> 
> 
> I've wasted several hours on two occasions trying to get a 
> client installed for Redhat Linux.  Anyone who done this, 
> please let me know.
> 
> Hilarie
>

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:30:02 -0800

> of the experiment at this IETF?

yes! i'm just in the process of doing QA on the machines that will be hosting
the jabber conferences!

details a little later today...

/mtr

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:43:26 -0500

>     http://www.jabber.ru/projects/tkabber/index_en.html

I've wasted two hours trying to get some kind of jabber client
(gabber, psi, tkabber) working under Debian/testing.

Gabber crashes with a segmentation fault.

I tried briefly to use tkabber, but abandoned it after it started
spewing in a loop (also failing).  I also wasn't convinced that it was
in fact using SSL, and decided I didn't want to take the chance that
it was spewing a password all over the terminal room network mu

I also tried psi, and it kvetched about an "invalid SSL store", with
no explanations about how to fix it.

At this point, it's consumed more time than I can afford to allocate
to this, so I've given up.  Perry is sitting next to me in the
terminal room, and he's also be trying (with great amounts of
frustration) to get gabber working on his netbsd system.

Ah well; I suppose the silver lining of all of this is that between
IRC, Sametime, and Zephyr, all of which I need to monitor at for one
reason or another, I need another IM system about as much as I need
another hole in my head....

						- Ted

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:55:13 -0800

> (gabber, psi, tkabber) working under Debian/testing.

uh, sorry. i've run all three clients on my netbsd system over the last year
(but it's true that i didn't try to get any of them running the first time
during the ietf).

if you can find me sometime this week, show me some of this and maybe i can
help. i do some maintenance on tkabber (so i'm surprised that it went into spew
mode). 

also, there's always "jarl", the perl/tk client...

/mtr

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:18:20 -0500

> also, there's always "jarl", the perl/tk client...

Do tkabber and jarl have SSL support?

					- Ted

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:20:27 -0800

> Do tkabber and jarl have SSL support?

yes. they require that you install an optional package for the crypto. jarl will
actually download it for you, i think. tkabber requires that you read the
README.html file...

i'm using tkabber with ssl right now.

/mtr

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:28:13 -0500

>frustration) to get gabber working on his netbsd system.

Odd -- I built gabber from NetBSD's pkgsrc (which I assume is what 
Perry did) and it (mostly) just worked.  The hard part was 
understanding the registration and naming conventions.  But the code is 
running fine.  Ditto psi, once I persuaded libqssl to compile.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:17:20 -0500

> running fine.  Ditto psi, once I persuaded libqssl to compile.

I finally got gabber to work.  The issue turned out to be that I had
forgotten my password from last IETF, and gabber's way of telling you
that you had entered the wrong password is to seg fault.  Ah, nothing
like quality software....

						- Ted

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:13:47 -0800

> like quality software....

well, with open source you pays yer nickel and you take yer chances... maybe
sending a note to the gabber support address is in order...

	http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gabber-discuss

/mtr