Subject: Re: Bugzilla

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:17:30 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Bernard Aboba writ
es:
>> The Web page looks nice and simple; from a quick look at the
>> documentation, roundup looks (reasonbly) easy to set up and use, too.  What
>> was necessary to create that page?  Just creating a new roundup template?
>> Can that be made available to the rest of us?
>
>What I particularly like about Roundup is that the terminology and
>mechanics seem to match those already in use in a number of WGs. That
>should make it relatively easy to adopt.
>
>What I'd like to understand better is the way that Issues are entered in.
>Does this need to be done manually, or is it possible to enter them via a
>Web page or through the email list?

According to the Roundup web page, issues can be entered via the Web, 
email, or command line (and since it's written in Python, it runs on 
Unix and Windows).
>
>Also, what is the security like? Is it possible for editors to have
>certain rights, chairs to have other rights? Does it support reporting?
>
Permissions seem to be very flexible -- see 
http://roundup.sourceforge.net/doc-0.6/user_guide.html.  I think it can
create reports, but I've just started looking at it; I'll defer to Dan 
or whomever else has really used it.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:07:25 -0700 (PDT)

> email, or command line (and since it's written in Python, it runs on

How does the email addition work? Are the fields in the issue
automatically filled in via the email message?  How robust is this
capability (e.g. does it work even with mis-formatted messages?)