Subject: RE: Bugzilla

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:08:18 +0300

I have not used the email interface. All the functionality 
resides on the subject line. Here is an example:

 * removing yourself from a nosy list and setting the priority:
   Subject: Re: [issue2] we're out of widgets [nosy=-richard;priority=Must Fix]

More info about the email interface can be found here:
http://roundup.sourceforge.net/doc-0.6/user_guide.html#e-mail-gateway

So it seems that a new issue is created with status "unread" 
with every email that roundup catches and is not recognized 
as an existing issue. The sender becomes automatically 
(depending on the configuration) a user of the issue-tracker 
and is sent a verification email with URL for activation.
Roundup supports MIME attachements (marks them downloadable 
files).

There are no reporting capabilities in Roundup, which is a 
big minus. I started to use the tool with SQLite backend and 
found that for example PHP doesn't have interface for that 
db. Thus, I started to code a command line tool with C that 
would produce info about an issue in text format directly 
from the SQL db. For now I don't have use for this tool, so 
the development is frozen.

Roundup is highly customizable and there is documentation 
for changing the templates. Roundup uses one file to initialize
the db (dbinit.py). In this file all the possible values for 
the fields (classes) are created. These can be edited later
too with the web frontend with admin rights (I have not used
the web frontend to do this, though). This is the reason why
pana-issues have similar properties than eap issues.

Roundup supports detectors that can be created and installed.
There are couple of them already in the beginning. One one 
them is sending email to people on the nosy list and for the
author of the issue, when the issue is changed somehow. This 
is possible to extend in a way that the email is by default
sent to the wg mailing list too.

- Dan

FYI: I've modified the default template in pana-issues. For
example I removed the register button next to the login 
button.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 22 May, 2003 07:07
> To: Forsberg Dan (NRC/Helsinki)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Bugzilla 
> 
> 
> > According to the Roundup web page, issues can be entered 
> via the Web,
> > email, or command line (and since it's written in Python, it runs on
> > Unix and Windows).
> 
> How does the email addition work? Are the fields in the issue
> automatically filled in via the email message?  How robust is this
> capability (e.g. does it work even with mis-formatted messages?)
>