Subject: Requests to Publish IDs as RFCs

From: IETF Executive Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:46:15 -0400

Dear IETF Working Group Chairs:

It seems that my message of June 3rd regarding when to use the subject line
"Request to Publish: <insert file name of ID>" was not clear and can be
misinterpreted.  If you found it confusing, you were not alone.  Below is
my attempt to clarify the various points of confusion that have been
brought to my attention.

(1) Internet Drafts, and updates to Internet Drafts should continue to be
submitted to "[email-masked]."

(2) Requests to advance an Internet Draft to an RFC should be sent to one
of your Area Directors with a copy to the Secretariat at
"[email-masked]."  It is for such requests that the Secretariat is
suggesting that you use "Request to Publish: <insert file name of ID>" in
the subject line.

(3) Each Working Group has an Area Advisor, and I assume that you would
normally send requests to advance an Internet Draft to an RFC to him or
her.  If you send it to the other AD, then the Secretariat will assign it
to that AD.  If you send it to both ADs, then the Secretariat will assign
it the Area Advisor for you group.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.  And
please be assured that the Secretariat staff will do its best to process
your requests in a timely fashion...regardless of how you phrase them in
the subject line.

Regards,

Barbara

------------------------------------------------
Barbara B. Fuller
Acting Executive Director
Internet Engineering Task Force

Natick, Massachusetts Office:

Phone: +1-508-650-4020
Fax:     +1-508-650-4639

Reston, Virginia Office:

Phone: +1-703-620-9053
Fax:     +1-703-620-9071