Subject: generic ID templates/build environments

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:52:47 -0700

Folks,

	Many people have been asking me for my ID build
	environment (and I have provided it to some of my authors
	who needed it). I'm attaching it here in the event any of
	you can use it (or improve it, or perhaps you just have
	something better; please share that).

	The original is due to Bill Fenner.

	Dave

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:44:32 -0400

A few years ago I took a somewhat different approach: rather than
doing fancy nroff, I just hacked up a small preprocessor that
automated the ugliest parts of the job and generated both text and
nroff (in the form that the rfc-editor claims to prefer) as output.
It's not terribly clever (in particular, it doesn't handle generating
a table of contents, but then I try to keep my drafts short enough not
to need one :), but perhaps it'll be useful to somebody.  See:

  http://www.hactrn.net/ietf/rfcgen/
  http://www.hactrn.net/ietf/dns/threats/

for the preprocessor itself and for an example of a draft written
using it.

A few months ago I joined an editing team that was already using mtr's
xml2rfc for a much larger set of documents, with something like 100
separate .xml files that included each other in twisty little ways all
checked into a CVS repository, so I hacked some Makefile junk to do
dependency checking and so forth.  A few parts of this are specific to
the particular naming scheme that the editing team chose for the files
in this project, but most of it should be usable with other projects.
I can make this stuff available if others are interested in it.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:38:05 +0900

>  http://www.hactrn.net/ietf/dns/threats/

	my preprocssor is here:
	http://orange.kame.net/dev/cvsweb.cgi/mx-req/?cvsroot=doc
	(and other directories on the same level uses the perl preprocessor too)

itojun