Subject: process question

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:40:10 -0400

From 2026:

>6.2  Advancing in the Standards Track
>
>    A specification shall remain at the Proposed Standard level for at
>    least six (6) months.

When does this clock start ticking?

We had a set of docs approved and entered into the RFC editor queue 
on June 2, but they hung up on a (now-approved) reference.  It's been 
almost 4 months since approval, but one could argue that until the 
RFC's hit the repository, no one can really gain experience with them 
to justify Draft Standard development.

Are we 4/6ths of the way to the next milestone, or still 0/6ths?

PS - I doubt that the current WG will do the DS level (per discussion 
with the AD's), I'm just trying to figure out what to say to the 
mailing list when we finally get the okay to shut down the current WG.

PPS - I realize the 6 months is not the "main hurdle" to becoming DS.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Sponge Bob Square Pants?  I'm still trying to figure out the Macarena.

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:55:31 -0400 (EDT)

> When does this clock start ticking?

in my opinion (fwtw) its from when the IESG approves publication

Scott

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:19:08 -0700

> in my opinion (fwtw) its from when the IESG approves publication

that's what I think too... the gotcha might be that to get to Draft, you 
need to have all the normative references at the same and higher level, 
which may mean that you can't get there until the *trailing* doucment is 6 
months out of the IESG......

but as you say, that's not the big hurdle.

                     Harald

---

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:38:15 -0400

>but as you say, that's not the big hurdle.

But how can the clock start before IANA assignments?

         Olafur