Subject: Summary of "WG secretary" discussion so far

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:48:30 +0100

So what I gather from the discussion is:

- Everyone seems to agree that minutes are good, and good minutes are even 
better.
- Several people want examples of good minutes, that they can show to 
scribes to use as templates.
- Some people use multiple scribes in a WG session; others have 
experimented with sound recordings for supporting the writing of minutes. 
Some people want to select scribes on-the-fly; everyone seems to agree that 
some people make better scribes than others.
- Some people think that a listed WG secretary is a good idea.
- Richard Shockey wants to be the test case for the idea.

So what I'll do:

- I'll tell Barbara that we want to have the "WG secretary" field added as 
an optional field on charter pages (that is, it doesn't show until you ask 
for it to be filled)
- Since the number of secretaries initially will be low, I'll just have you 
send in the updates the same way you do milestone updates (if there were to 
be a lot, Barbara wanted them in a fixed format for easier uploading).
- I'd like to see someone volunteer to find some good minutes in the 
proceedings of previous IETFs and post the URLs to this list, so that 
people can show them to their prospective secretaries. Takers?

Makes sense?

                    Harald

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 05:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Harald,

Aaron Falk and a couple of others also pointed out that we have
no defined formatting for minutes, so people send in TXT and
lose the formatting because it's rendered as HTML, etc.

We probably don't need a minutes-nits checklist, but it WOULD be
helpful if there was a one-line statement from the secretariat
saying "we would like minutes submitted in this mime type, if
you care about preserving the formatting".

You also didn't include the point that no one seems particularly
proud of their record in producing minutes, but we'll let that
drop for now :-}

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:34:11 +0100

> you care about preserving the formatting".

yep - that's something I need to take up with the secretariat. it SHOULD be 
a minor problem....

> proud of their record in producing minutes, but we'll let that

no need to rub that in :-)