Subject: permanent home for ietf text conferencing

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:46:57 -0800

http://www.xmpp.org/ietf-chat.html

rather than having to deal with setting up a server prior to each IETF, there is
now a permanent, year-round server set-up.

please go to the above URL to see the instructions, etc.

any questions, let me know.

thanks,

/mtr

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:26:40 -0800

Thanks, Marshall!

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:34:59 -0800

> Thanks, Marshall!

sure. do you want to send the URL to the ietf-announce list?
    
/mtr

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:25:33 -0800

I can pick the message from the wgchairs list and ask the secretariat to 
post that in your name..... think that will sound "more right". OK with you?

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:27:59 -0800

> post that in your name..... think that will sound "more right". OK with you?

fine by me.

/mtr

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:36:38 -0600

Marshall said:
> Subject: permanent home for ietf text conferencing

While I applaud the use of research tools to assist in the refinement of
protocols and requirements, isn't it a bit premature to declare a permanent
home for IETF text conferencing when we haven't declared an IETF protocol
for text conferencing yet?

I worry that this might send a confused message to the outside world and its
large population of evil marketing types (as opposed to evil engineering
types ;-) . . .).

Thanks

--
Dean Willis

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:26:12 -0800

> large population of evil marketing types (as opposed to evil engineering

dean - perhaps discussions of a political nature might be better served
on a different list. otherwise, someone might feel tempted to point out
some very uncomfortable truths with respect to what you've written
above...
    
/mtr

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:51:37 -0600

Marshall Rose wrote:
 > Dean wrote:

Excuse me? I don't believe I understand your point. Are you saying 
you'll be willing to host whatever protocol gets used? That's very 
generous of you, and again, I applaud the effort.

--
Dean

---

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:40:11 -0500

>large population of evil marketing types (as opposed to evil engineering

So what is your point ?

Is it that Marshall's subject was missing one word "jabber" ?

         Olafur