Subject: RE: A concept resurrected(?) - WG secretary?

From: "Jari Arkko (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:45:08 +0200

One advantage of the current system is that we can select
persons who are there and who are not presenting too much
themselves. If we'd have to pick a notes taker for the
next five meetings, the chances are that he or she would
have a conflict in one of the slots, that we'd pick someone
who turns out to be holding a lot of WG presentations, etc.

(But in the current system I prefer picking the notes takers
myself, and slightly in advance of the real start of the meeting.
This way we don't waste time, and we get the best notes takers -
on a private conversation you can do more arm twisting than at
a public meeting.)

Anyway, taking good notes is really hard. It is somewhat
easier if the discussion is very structured (issue nnn =>
decision), but this not always the case.

--Jari

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:26:35 +0200

>decision), but this not always the case.
agreed, picking note-takers myself is much easier than having a
'designated' person who wants to do it and feels as 'owner' of the
notes possibly (in my experience, persons
vying for this kind of 'visibility' positions are weakly negatively
correlated with their ability to fulfill that position).

Agree that getting good notes is hard. Prime is quality of the person,
2nd amount of time I end up re-editng/rewriting the notes

    thanks

    -- tony

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:36:09 -0400

> (in my experience, persons

Exactly.

...George

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719

---

From: "Chris Apple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:18:49 -0400

If such a role were to be created, it would of course be the
job of the WG Chair to weed the unqualified out of consideration;
much like you already have to for every other role within the
WG.

My experiences in filling existing WG roles are no different in
some cases from a the "visibility" concern that has been raised. ;)

I'd be willing to invest the energy in finding someone who
really enjoys this type of work because it can help keep the group
moving forward.

I also would like to add that such a role would be most useful
when a WG is nearing the end of its chartered work program. That
is most often when issues get dropped and unnecessary delays are
introduced simply because the "high energy" work is over.

Interest in *finishing* things has never been a general human trait.

People who are truly good project managers tend to have that trait
"hard wired."

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:[email-masked]

http://www.dsi-consulting.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
George Swallow
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 12:36 PM
To: Tony Przygienda
Cc: Jari Arkko (JO/LMF); 'Harald Tveit Alvestrand'; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: A concept resurrected(?) - WG secretary? 

Exactly.

..George