Subject: How to use a microphone

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:25:32 +0100

Maybe it would be a good topic for a future WG chair training to 
discuss briefly how to get presenters to handle microphones properly.
A presenter's driver's license or something.
I'm not joking.
(Maybe we could start with a web page. This could include advice like 
"go the podium with a fully booted laptop", "you can press F5 to start 
your presentation -- possibly even before stepping to the podium" etc., 
but an important problem seems simply to be lack of knowledge on the 
workings of A/V technology.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:40:09 -0800

Agree.  A presenter's hints page would be a great idea.

--aaron

---

From: "bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:29:42 -0800

One thing I try to do is get together with presenters before the WG
session.  I try to convince them to give me their slides... Two reasons
1) I have all of the presentations to send to the secretariat after the
meeting
2) I only have to get my laptop setup to work with the AV equipment - so
there are no suprises, and little wasted time during the meeting

Easy to do with only 3-4 presenters that I have - I could see it being
much harder with 10 presenters (or people that work on the slides during
the meeting before their presentation)

Just my two cents

Bill
(Not saying anything about mics... I just don't have to use them for
smaller WGs)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Carsten Bormann
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Carsten Bormann
Subject: How to use a microphone

Maybe it would be a good topic for a future WG chair training to 
discuss briefly how to get presenters to handle microphones properly. A
presenter's driver's license or something. I'm not joking. (Maybe we
could start with a web page. This could include advice like 
"go the podium with a fully booted laptop", "you can press F5 to start 
your presentation -- possibly even before stepping to the podium" etc., 
but an important problem seems simply to be lack of knowledge on the 
workings of A/V technology.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:48:45 -0600

I think we definitely need to train people in how to use a microphone. 
I.e. exactly what the subject says.

The microphones which exists at hotels etc (not the small wireless crap 
things) needs to be not more than 1-2 inch from the mouth.

     paf

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:16:15 -0700

> the meeting before their presentation)

The PWE3 chairs require that all slides are provided before
the meeting in order to keep your slot (some random exceptions
allowed).  We typically use a single laptop for most of the
presentations unless slides have changed.

Not only does this allow us to save time during the meeting,
it also allows us to make the slides available publicly to
the WG members and folks that can't attend the meeting -- in
order to provide them an opportunity to comment beforehand.

It also allows the chairs to review the slides and ensure
they coincide with the slot request description, have been
discussed appropriately on the WG mailing list, and that
there's not to much fluff.  Finally, it helps ensure we get
all of the presentations ready for the WG proceedings in a
reasonable timeframe.

http://pwe3.tcb.net/meetings/ietf58 is what we used for this
meeting and was made available to the WG before the meeting.
It provides access to the agenda, drafts and slides in a single
place.  We've received a number of comments from WG participants
that they like the model we follow.

-danny

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:38:46 -0800

I'm forwarding, with permission, the attached note from Keith Moore
which is relevant to this discussion.  Comments should go to him.

--aaron

Subject: Fwd: a personal plea regarding powerpoint presentations in Minneapolis
From: Joyce Reynolds <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:06:17 -0800

>Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:42:12 -0500
>From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: a personal plea regarding powerpoint presentations in Minneapolis
>
>Folks,
>
>PowerPoint has become such a fixture at IETF, and the use of PowerPoint
>consumes so much of our valuable meeting time, that I've attempted to
>collect some useful advice about how best to do PowerPoint
>presentations, especially in the IETF context.  For now I've put them on
>a web page.  If the reception is favorable I might try to get them
>published as an RFC, presumably after lots of revision.
>
>http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/opinions/how-to-write-powerpoint.html
>
>It's short - about two printed us-letter pages.
>
>I'm sending these to IESG rather than to the whole IETF list because
>(a) I think this advice will be more effective if individual ADs
>encourage individual WGs and authors to look at it, and
>
>(b) I don't want to be seen as trying to circumvent AD direction of
>WGs and how they do their presentations.
>
>These are just personal opinions, of course.  But I hope that people who
>are currently planning to make presentations (or more appropriately,
>lead discussions) in Minneapolis can be encouraged to make them as
>effective as possible, whether or not they find this advice useful.
>
>Comments should probably be sent to me personally. I'll try to
>incorporate them in a later revision.
>
>Keith