Subject: spam from upperside.fr

From: "Michael Sneed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:22:56 -0500

The adslmib list has been getting spammed recently by a "list member".  This 
member is subscribed with the "nomail" flag set, and generally posts 
advertisements for conferences via "upperside.fr".

We are apparently not the only recipients of these "gifts".  Has anyone else 
had a problem with these guys?  I have warned him, but it hasn't helped.

Regards,

Mike

_________________________________________________________________
Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded 
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!         
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:50:04 -0500

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 12:22 PM, Michael Sneed wrote:
> The adslmib list has been getting spammed recently by a "list member". 
>  This member is subscribed with the "nomail" flag set, and generally 
> posts advertisements for conferences via "upperside.fr".

I think they're a real nuisance.  They haven't done it recently that
I've seen, but they also spatter their ads around the IPSec and VoIP-
related lists.

Melinda

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:58:35 -0500

I've generally tolerated them on the basis that unlike the huge majority 
of spams directed to Megaco they are technically relevant to a lot of 
people on my list albeit not on topic.  Certainly if their postings 
exceeded one a month on the average, I would get a bit impatient.

I'll add the information that, years ago, I took part as a speaker in 
two or three of their conferences.

Michael Sneed wrote:

> We are apparently not the only recipients of these "gifts".  Has anyone 
> else had a problem with these guys?  I have warned him, but it hasn't 
> helped.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Mike
> 
> Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has 
> exceeded its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:01:39 -0500

>had a problem with these guys?  I have warned him, but it hasn't helped.

See http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/moderated-lists.txt

You can also ask your AD to ask the IESG to ban the list member.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:35:16 -0500

This link reminds of one aspect of the process where postings from 
non-members to Megaco became moderated: it was done with the consent of 
the members of the list.  Similarly, if you have had no complaints about 
Upperside but feel they are a nuisance, you should consult with your 
list on whether they think postings from Peter Lewis should be moderated.

There was one point in the list of guidelines that worries me: the 
requirement that copies of rejected postings be retained for a 
reasonable period.  Maybe this comes under the "obvious irrelevance" 
exception, but when I go through the Megaco list of postings from 
outsiders, I use the Mailman web interface.  I tick off the ones to be 
deleted (most of them) and as far as I know, they disappear.  Does 
Mailman hang on to them at all, or should we screen-scrape any postings 
we are rejecting/deleting that seem like they may be controversial?

Tom Taylor

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:26:25 -0800

that's unusual - to see someone actually subscribing to the list in order 
to spam it. Has there ever been mail from this address that was relevant to 
the adslmib list?

If there has never been, I think you should set his "moderation" flag too - 
he can't be considered a WG member if he's sent nothing but spam.
(If he has sent serious mail, he might be a victim of a joe-job - spam sent 
out in his name.... judgment call.)

(more food for the "WG mailing list maintainer's handbook" that doesn't 
exist yet....)

                    Harald

--On 3. november 2003 12:22 -0500 Michael Sneed <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> This member is subscribed with the "nomail" flag set, and generally posts

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:32:21 -0800

The mailman UI has an "also send copy to" feature.
That could be useful for "controversial" postings (as opposed to spam).

--On 3. november 2003 13:35 -0500 Tom Taylor <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Upperside but feel they are a nuisance, you should consult with your list
> on whether they think postings from Peter Lewis should be moderated.
>
> requirement that copies of rejected postings be retained for a reasonable
> period.  Maybe this comes under the "obvious irrelevance" exception, but
> when I go through the Megaco list of postings from outsiders, I use the
> Mailman web interface.  I tick off the ones to be deleted (most of them)
> and as far as I know, they disappear.  Does Mailman hang on to them at
> all, or should we screen-scrape any postings we are rejecting/deleting
> that seem like they may be controversial?

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:30:45 -0800

> You can also ask your AD to ask the IESG to ban the list member.

i have been blocking peter lewis for years.

randy