Subject: RE: "LAST Call for Input to the 58th IETF Meeting Proceedings"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:43:30 -0500

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> - if it's possible to put all the presentations on one laptop,
> and let all speakers use it, this gives wgchairs copies of all
> presentations and avoids the "oops, can't project this
> resolution" problems that we still see occasionally. When I was
> attending IEEE 802.17, the chair wouldn't let people present
> slides he didn't have copies of (c'mon, we have a wireless LAN,
> right? why would submitting slides be hard, even if you were
> editing them in the meeting while waiting for your slot?).

One possible way to achieve this is for the WG chair to bring a
USB (flash) disk key.  I used one of these to gather up presentations
after the fact in Minneapolis, and it worked well - this was the
first time I didn't have to send any "send me your presentation"
email nag-o-grams.

A risk of gathering up presentations in advance is that not all
presentation formats are truly portable - not having a crucial
font installed can do "interesting" things to a PowerPoint presentation.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:26:16 -0800 (PST)

> font installed can do "interesting" things to a PowerPoint

Doesn't this mean the version of the presentation in the
archives will have the same problems when someone tries to view
it later? That seems unfortunate.

Spencer