Subject: Preventing the "could you add a prefix in the subject line" debate

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:08:26 -0800

Greetings again. I just started up another list, and in the first 
message to the list asked that list admin issues be sent to me 
offline. The second message was the now-familiar "could you put the 
name of the list in the subject line". Note that the list (like all 
the lists that IMC and VPNC run) uses the List-ID: standard from RFC 
2919, and it's the last header they see. <sigh>

After I shut down that thread, someone did suggest off-line that I 
actually tell folks when they register that the list uses the 
List-ID: header. That was a great suggestion, and it might help 
y'all. New lists that we create will have the wording in the welcome 
message:

   If you use filters to direct different lists to different mail slots,
   note that every message on this list will include the header
      List-ID: <LISTNAME.vpnc.org>
   For more information on this standard, please see RFC 2919.

It would be grand if this helps avoid yet-another on-list request for 
subject prefixes.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium