Subject: FW: mip6 added to Gmane

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:38:54 -0600

Is there a policy that either allows/prohibits the addition of
non-individual email addresses to the WG subscription lists?

I dont see any downside to having this address on the MIP6 list
unless it becomes a source of spam etc.

Any thoughts on whether list-admins should permit such addresses?

-Basavaraj

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext
Gmane Administrator
Sent: 14 February, 2004 03:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: mip6 added to Gmane

We have received a request for adding the [email-masked] mailing list
to the Gmane mail-to-news gateway/archive. A subscription request
message has been sent. If this is contrary to your wishes, please
send a mail to [email-masked] saying so, and the list will be
removed from Gmane.

Gmane is a mail-to-news portal that never expires its messages.  It
therefore also functions as a mailing list archive.  It's a
bi-directional gateway, but Gmane verifies that its users' email
addresses are valid before passing the messages through the
news-to-mail gateway.  (Groups can also be made "read-only", which
means that Gmane won't forward any messages at all to the mailing
list.)

Gmane can encrypt addresses to make address harvesting difficult, and
heeds X-No-Archive and related headers.

If you wish to import older archives into Gmane, send a message to
the Gmane administrators -- just reply to this message.

The following parameters are set for this mailing list:

    * Newsgroup name: gmane.ietf.mip6
    * Mailing list address: [email-masked]
    * The gateway is bi-directional
    * Address encryption is off
    * Spam detection is on
    * The list is described as:
      "Mobility for IPv6 (mip6)"
    * News URL: news://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.mip6
    * Web URL: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.mip6

This newsgroup will be created when the first message from the
mailing list arrives.

For more information about the Gmane project, go to
<URL: http://gmane.org/>.

This request was handled by
[email-masked] (Sebastian D.B. Krause).

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:25:24 -0800

AFAIK, we have many such addresses subscribed, and they are generally 
harmless. Our lists are public, so another archive exposes no new 
information - it just makes it easier to find, which I don't think is a 
problem.

OTOH, I see no reason to ask WG chairs or list maintainers to do anything 
special about them either - so there's no particular reason to respond to 
their message at all, if you don't want to.

                Harald