Subject: Handling Korean Spam

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:25:08 -0800

Hi -

For the mailing lists I administer, over 80% of the spam is in Korean,
and the vast majority of that is coming via hosts with addresses in
the space administered by krnic.net.

At the Seoul meeting, is there any chance that we might be able
to spend some time with someone from a Korean ISP in order
to learn what they need from us in order to stop these miscreants?

Randy

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:38:57 +1000

For the mailing lists I administer, over 90% of the spam is american, or
to the apparent benefit of american spamhauses, marketing companies.

I am sure that in the Seoul meeting I'm going to see the IETF participants
help clear this up... 

-george

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:51:12 -0800

Hi -

> From: "George Michaelson" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 7:38 PM
> Subject: Re: Handling Korean Spam
>

> I am sure that in the Seoul meeting I'm going to see the IETF participants
...

My question is serious.  I've found that many ISPs will at least acknowledge
spam complaints, if sent to the correct address with the right documentation.
I'd like to learn what the expectations of the major Korean ISPs are,
and was hoping that people who would know would be at the meeting.
If there are generally observed reporting guidelines in use by ISPs in A/P,
it would be good to know what these are, too.

I'm narrowly focused on quashing the spam that hits my mailing lists.
Currently, for whatever reason, Korean hosts are generally the ones
originating, relaying, or holding the web content, with Chinese ones
a distant second.  I'm sure this is an atypical distribution, but I'm not
trying to solve the general problem.  I'd simply like to learn the correct
way to report incidents for these ISPs.

Randy

---

From: [email-masked] (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:02:56 +0900 (JST)

> > I am sure that in the Seoul meeting I'm going to see the IETF participants

	i'm not sure if ISP operators will be attending IETF.  from what i
	heard, in korea, spec writers/protocol designers are ranked as high-
	profile job, and operators are ranked as low-profile job.  there's huge
	disconnect between those two communities.  IETF participants will be
	the former set of people, and people you would like to contact would be
	the latter set of people.

itojun