Subject: RE: WG Chairs Training Lunch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:33:12 +0200

> > There had been some talk about allowing WG chairs to access/use the
> > I-D tracker for WG purposes.  Has there been any further thoughts
> > about this?
> 
> Perhaps you should elaborate a bit on which uses for I-D tracker in 
> the WG process you think would be useful?  I think I can guess a 
> couple.

Managing WG last calls, dependencies on different documents, etc. 
Some working groups have a tremendous amount of Internet Drafts
and there are also working groups that have dependencies on drafts
in other WGs as well.  This is my primary use case.  However, I
could invent others as well ...

John

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:07:29 -0500

Hi John,

>At 12:33 PM +0200 2/19/04, [email-masked] wrote:
>

Giving WG chairs write access to the I-D Tracker (as it exists today)
would not be inherently useful for managing document dependencies,
because the I-D Tracker doesn't contain any dependency information.  I
agree that it would be useful to have a tool that did track dependencies,
but that would require some substantial enhancement to the I-D tracker
  -- currently it doesn't look "inside" the documents at all, it just contains
pointers to them and associates other information with them.

The I-D tracker could, I suppose, be used to track WG last call comments
(by entering them all as document comments), but it isn't the most useful
tool for that purpose, as it doesn't associate state (open, resolved, etc.)
with specific comments.  BTW, the IESG doesn't use the tracker to track IETF
Last Call issues...  Steve Bellovin put up a roundup server for this purpose,
and some ADs have been experimenting with it (I keep meaning to).

Margaret