Subject: Re: Korean Spam

From: David Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:46:41 -0500

On 1/29/2004 11:15 AM -0800, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>  Re Korean Spam.ems<file://C:\TIAC\MAIL\Re Korean Spam.ems <0880.0002>>
>
>dunno - I've had korean spam for years, but don't see it any more - it=20
>seems to be reliably caught by spamassassin.
>
>--On 29. januar 2004 11:52 -0500 Eric Burger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Is it my imagination, or are our lists starting to get a heavy volume of
> > spam originating in Korea?
> >

I've been filtering spam with Korean character sets (which are also not 
installed on this computer) for awhile, but this latest group seems to 
definitely come from a web page scraping of the IETF WG charters.

At the bottom of the spam just above what is evidently a REJECT option.
(I look at this stuff with all linking turned off, and without the 
character set, it's all gliberish, except for a few keywords and this)

"[????URL] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/aaa-charter.html
[?????REJECT]  <which has a coded link URL>
If you do not receive this mail. Please click above reject button."

I think it's trying to say why they think I signed up or how.  It's pretty 
clear they did it by scraping.  But dang if I'm going to send them a Reject.

Dave.