Subject: Re: Jabber at IETF 59?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:07:15 +0900

Fire does not support jabber chat rooms.  I haven't found a
multi-protocol Mac client that does.

  Bill

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:21:25 +0900

On Mar 1, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

>
> On 2004-03-01, at 13.39, T.J. Kniveton wrote:
>
>> Hopefully these programs will be improved by the next meeting so that 
>> the majority of users can get them to work.
>
> I have used Nitro for three meetings now and have had no problems at 
> all.
>
>    paf
>

I'm sure you did. But I just installed Nitro, and tried to register a 
new account. The first time I tried, it exited without saying anything. 
The second time, it said it could not connect to a server. I can telnet 
to any of the public jabber servers port 5222 just fine.

Most people in the IETF who I've asked, and had any experience with 
Jabber, did not get it to work. IETF members are probably some of the 
most qualified people to get Internet applications operating, so that 
seems like a bad sign.

TJ

---

From: David Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:34:41 -0500

My experience was the same. No joy.

--On Monday, March 1, 2004 2:21 PM +0900 "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> I'm sure you did. But I just installed Nitro, and tried to register a new
> account. The first time I tried, it exited without saying anything. The
> second time, it said it could not connect to a server. I can telnet to
> any of the public jabber servers port 5222 just fine.
>

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:37:17 +0900

On 2004-03-01, at 14.21, T.J. Kniveton wrote:

> new account. The first time I tried, it exited without saying 
> anything. The second time, it said it could not connect to a server. I 
> can telnet to any of the public jabber servers port 5222 just fine.
>

It indeed does.

I can not remember whether I created the account with Nitro or 
something else.

    paf

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:47:53 +0900

In message <[email-masked]>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pat
>I can not remember whether I created the account with Nitro or 

By contrast, I've had no trouble with psi.  I use it heavily on NetBSD; 
I've also installed the Windows version for others, and it worked for 
them, too.  (But I've never tried the Mac version.)

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

---

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 06:54:24 +0100

Patrik Fältström wrote:

>> anything. The second time, it said it could not connect to a server. 
>> I can telnet to any of the public jabber servers port 5222 just fine.
>>
I just downloaded it and it works fine. A few quirks. I first created my 
account using nitro itself.
But having created it I was unable to connect or to get it to work.
Once I exited and reran nitro, things worked just fine.
But how do you specify a proxy for http tunneling (so I can use it at 
the same time as my VPN)?
Is such a thing an option using jabber.org as my server?

-gabriel

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:05:59 -0500

> them, too.  (But I've never tried the Mac version.)

I've had no problems with psi on OpenBSD or Windows.  On my Mac,
however, I get a bus error.  I've started using Nitro with MacOS but
I'd already created an account using another platform.

BTW, I'm unable to attend this meeting but I've been able to follow
along pretty well from home in those meetings where there have been
jabber scribes - many thanks.

Melinda

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:19:19 +0900

i have been using Nitro on OSX for two ietfs as well.  never had any 
problems, though i did create my current account on an another, now 
unsupported, mac app (forgot the name).

a.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:40:46 +0900

At 11:53 PM -0500 02/29/2004, David Oran wrote:
>I downloaded Fire onto my MAC, and while I can log in to 
>ietf.xmpp.org with jabber, I cannot for the life of me figure out 
>how to connect to a WG chat room. If I just launch an IM window to a 
>buddy named "sip" e.g. for the sip WG, I don't get into the SIP WG 
>chat room.
>
>Any suggestions?

Fire does not support chat rooms; it's primarily a multi-protocol
client for IM, rather than a focused jabber client.  Psi does, and
I use it when I need the chat rooms.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie