Subject: RE: Jabber at IETF 59?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 03:30:24 +0200

Steve,

> I'd like to thank the organizers and providers of the Jabber rooms.  I 
> relied on them yesterday twice, for important reasons.  In one room 
> (opsec -- an unusual type of BoF), the document editor couldn't come to 
> the IETF; he had to follow along via Jabber.  In the other (newtrk), I 
> was the acting chair, and the real chair participated via Jabber.
> 
> In general, it worked well.  The one downside was the difficulty of
> finding Jabber scribes -- for this purpose, I had to twist some arms,
> since I couldn't rely on spontaneous volunteers.

I agree with you. Chat is a very useful tool.  I've found being in 2
places at once is quite hard, but this helps.  I think I am going to
make an effort to get all presentations on-line before my WG meetings
in next meetings.  I have noticed a good bit of remote participate
this way.

John

---

From: Christian Hopps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:48:27 -0800

> in next meetings.  I have noticed a good bit of remote participate

I've been using jabber, as I couldn't make it to Seoul, with mixed 
results. I found that the streaming audio (e.g., in multi6) was a 
useful addition. What seemed *very* useful was the ability of remote 
people, perhaps watching a session, to ask for a question to be asked 
at the mic.

I really wish IETF would support at minimum non-multicast streaming 
audio for all sessions. I'm really not sure why this hasn't happened 
yet.

Thanks,
Chris.

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:30:43 -0500

> audio for all sessions. I'm really not sure why this hasn't happened 

I can think of a few reasons, but as another person participating 
remotely
I've found the audio to be invaluable and the video to be kind of nice 
but
not particularly information-rich.  I've also thought it would be nice 
to
get audio streamed from all the sessions, though, if the logistics could
be worked out.

Melinda

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:39:54 +0900

name-at-mike habits are slipping. 

the jabber can't hack unnnamed people. its a mess.

please remind people to name themselves EVERY TIME. 

-George

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:00:17 +0900

> please remind people to name themselves EVERY TIME.

I'll second that.  I've been using tags like [AAA] [BBB] and so on for each 
unnamed person.  But particularly during a busy session, there's not even 
time to look up and see if the speaker is someone who's been up before, so 
you go through these a lot.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:14:06 +0900

this came up on the IETF list too....

the current multicasting funding is ending at the end of this year. So 
that's a convenient time to aim for having something else in place.
I'm trying to start a project on this (and have someone not me follow up on 
it....)

                 Harald

--On 2. mars 2004 21:30 -0500 Melinda Shore <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I can think of a few reasons, but as another person participating remotely
> I've found the audio to be invaluable and the video to be kind of nice but
> not particularly information-rich.  I've also thought it would be nice to