Subject: jabber room sizes

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:53:44 +0900

observation: the jabber rooms are very useful.  they are in fact so
useful that in some rooms we have hit the room size limit (which i
have been told defaults to 50).  in the future we should probably kick
that up somewhat, particularly for the plenaries, but also for
wg and bof sessions (eg, marid hit this limit this morning).

i know that the folks working on the jabber stuff are already aware of
this, i just want to make sure that folks know about the issue so that
we can watch for it at future meetings.

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:18:45 -0000

I'm not familiar with jabber.

Would it make sense to run foreign langauge jabber rooms for "simultaneous translation"?

In CCAMP today we were travelling quite fast and it was very hard for many of our
participants to follow. Obviously (in hind sight) we should have considered having two
meetings so that we could give more time to drafts and talk slower.

However, if there were participants able and willing to be scribes would that fly?

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:31:20 +0200 (EET)

> "simultaneous translation"?

Are you 4 weeks early? :)

Seriously, what't he problem statement here?  We want to engage people
who don't understand languages?  We want to improve the communication
skills of speakers so that you can make sense of them more easily?  
....?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:47:18 -0000

> Are you 4 weeks early? :)
Rarely better than 6 months late.

> Seriously, what's the problem statement here?  We want to engage people

We want to engage people who don't understand the language of the "presenter". In
particular, we want to engage people who form a very significant part of the audience,
such as those from the host nation.

This is largely a courtesy, but should also improve the quality of the drafts. From our
perspective it simply requires that we set up the jabber rooms and offer them for use. We
could also spend time encouraging members of the host nation to participate including
getting the "how to jabber" instructions translated.

Improving the skill of the speakers would be great. And insisting that presentations are
made only by people with clear diction and perfect pronunciation might be a solution, but
it is perhaps unreasonable to require a group of authors to subcontract the discussion of
their draft (although this is perfectly possible and I might be able to make a few dollars
on the side doing this :-)

Adrian