Subject: Specifying New URLs and E-Mail Addresses @ietf.org in I-Ds

From: "Barbara B. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:40:59 -0500

Dear IETF Working Group Chairs:

On occasion, an I-D is submitted that specifies that a new URL or e-mail 
address @ietf.org be created.  Since creating a new URL or e-mail address 
@ietf.org requires the approval of an AD, the IESG has established a 
mechanism for obtaining AD approval in such cases.  The mechanism involves 
including an explanation of the need for the new URL or e-mail address 
within the I-D itself.

The Secretariat has updated Section 1.3, "Sometimes-required sections," of 
the "I-D Nits" document, "AD Review of I-Ds" 
(http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html), to reflect this new mechanism.  The 
wording is as follows:

"If your Internet-Draft specifies that a new URL, e-mail list, or e-mail 
alias be created @ietf.org, then please explain why it is needed.  Creation 
of a new URL, e-mail list, or e-mail alias @ietf.org requires the approval 
of an IETF Area Director.  When you request publication of your I-D as an 
RFC, the shepherding AD will review your explanation as part of the 
evaluation process.  If the AD concurs that a new URL, e-mail list, or 
e-mail alias is needed, and if your document is approved for publication as 
an RFC, then the Secretariat will create the URL, e-mail list, or e-mail 
alias before the RFC is published."

Regards,

Barbara

------------------------------------------------
Barbara B. Fuller
Acting Executive Director
Internet Engineering Task Force

Natick, Massachusetts Office:

Phone: +1-508-650-4020
Fax:     +1-508-650-4639

Reston, Virginia Office:

Phone: +1-703-620-9053
Fax:     +1-703-620-9071

---

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:46:08 -0500

--On Tuesday, March 30, 2004 8:40 PM -0500 "Barbara B. Fuller" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On occasion, an I-D is submitted that specifies that a new URL or

Out of curiosity, what I-Ds specify new URLs?  Process documents?

--Matt

---

From: "Barbara B. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:59:33 -0500

Hi Matt:

>Out of curiosity, what I-Ds specify new URLs?  Process documents?

Yes.  A recent example of this situation is 
draft-ietf-ipr-technology-rights-12.txt which is now RFC 3668 (BCP 
79).  Section 6.3 of that document states the following:

6.3.  How must a disclosure be made?

    IPR disclosures are made by following the instructions at
    http://www.ietf.org/ipr-instructions.

However, when the document was approved, the URL did not exist.

Barbara

Phone: +1-508-650-4020
Fax:     +1-508-650-4639

Reston, Virginia Office:

Phone: +1-703-620-9053
Fax:     +1-703-620-9071