Subject: ID Nits Reminder

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:52:21 -0500

Dear Working Group Chairs:

In the course of your efforts, you will be submitting Internet-Drafts to the IESG 
for consideration as RFCs.  Please note that all Internet-Drafts offered for publication 
as RFCs must conform to the requirements specified in ID Nits 
(http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html), or they will be returned to the author(s) for 
revision. Therefore, the IETF Secretariat strongly recommends that you address all of the 
issues raised in this document before submitting a request to publish an Internet-Draft 
to the IESG.  The content issues should be addressed early on in the work since they are 
integral to the technical makeup of the Internet-Draft.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:24:35 -0500

Does anyone have a nits-checker script for automatic review of drafts for
ID-nits?

- Ralph

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:29:19 +0200

> Does anyone have a nits-checker script for automatic review of drafts for

xml2rfc does this, set

   <?rfc strict="yes" ?>

But I'm sure the secretariat has a stand-alone script for
doing this as well.

--Jari

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:08:37 +0200 (EET)

> But I'm sure the secretariat has a stand-alone script for

One would think so.....

One would also think that the I-D publication process was
automated.... (or that N other things which similarly easy/difficult
to automate would have been.)

A lot of thoughts, most of them wrong. :)

Btw. nothing in the note states that the secretariat is doing any
checking on the I-D's now or in the future.  AFAIK they only insist
that the draft contains a correct boilerplate.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:11:15 -0500

xml2rfc doesnt check for all of the nits, of course. A lot of whats in 
there needs human validation.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:22:19 -0000

So, isn't the nits page out of date wrt the IPR sections?

Just checking.

Adrian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:38:51 +0100

Hi,

    I've got an awk script which checks a number of the nits.  It's
available from this web page, which also documents which nits it does
check:

 http://ietf.levkowetz.com/tools/idnits/

The RFC 3667 checks are currently very half-hearted; I plan to expand
them to cover it better.

There are also one or two additional nits checks which I believe can be
automated which I plan to add.

Feedback on the script's usefulness and possible bugs would be
appreciated.

	Henrik

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:08:54 -0800

> So, isn't the nits page out of date wrt the IPR sections?

It is, and so are a number of the other pages (NOTE WELL and so on).
Someone's looking through them in order to list the changes required.
Yeah - I know - should have started earlier. We're getting there.

                   Harald

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:15:41 -0800

> A lot of thoughts, most of them wrong. :)

we're working on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(it's a resource limitation problem.... if you've got some KUSD lying 
around, that could help too...)

> that the draft contains a correct boilerplate.

The I-D publication process is supposed to be a lightweight procedure... 
the secretariat mostly checks only the stuff that's "critical according to 
the lawyers".

Checking ID-Nits is the business of WG chairs and document editors.

                   Harald