Subject: Formatting Problems with the drafts.. Where To Seek Help !

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:46:19 -0500

The wgchair mailing list has been pretty silent for
some time :)  Let me break the silence.

One of our WG editor is having some trouble 
generating the draft from the MS word template
(yeah I know he shouldn't use word).  The generated 
draft does not have the first letter of every
line.

The questions are:

- Did anyone of you encounter this problem and know
  the fix ?

- What is the right forum (mailing list) for asking
  such a question ?

Regards
Mukesh

---

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:21:57 -0700

I've dispensed with the CRLF.exe tool.

I just turn off all the "smart" stuff in Word, e.g., smart quotes,
turning -- into a proper dash, etc., so I don't get any non-ascii
characters.  I'm sure something like "od" will tell you if you still
have any non-ascii characters.  Then install a generic printer (Text
only) under the Add Printers thingy in the control panel, and print to
file using that printer.  Rename the .prn file to .txt and you should be
done.  You even the the ^L form feeds at the end of each page.

I've been able to do this with the last three versions of Word.

-Vach 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 3:46 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Formatting Problems with the drafts.. Where To Seek Help !
> 
>

---

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:34:44 -0500

I have never seen that one. However, as you are finding out converting from
word to text can be tortuous. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 5:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Formatting Problems with the drafts.. Where To Seek Help !

The wgchair mailing list has been pretty silent for some time :)  Let me
break the silence.

One of our WG editor is having some trouble generating the draft from the MS
word template (yeah I know he shouldn't use word).  The generated draft does
not have the first letter of every line.

The questions are:

Regards
Mukesh