Subject: Reminder: please maintain mailing list archive at ietf.org

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:05:15 -0400

I happened to need to go look in some WG mailing list archives today,
and in doing so, I was reminded that not all WG mailing lists are
being properly archived. I've followed up with some individual WG
chairs, but suspect there are others as well. Please take a moment to
verify that your mailing list is being properly archvied at:

       ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/

Also, be sure that there is actually something in the current months
archive!

The need for this is documented in RFC RFC 2418, which says:

>          As a service to the community, the IETF Secretariat operates a
>          mailing list archive for working group mailing lists. In order
>          to take advantage of this service, working group mailing lists
>          MUST include the address "[email-masked]"
>          (where "wg_acronym" is the working group acronym) in the
>          mailing list in order that a copy of all mailing list messages
>          be recorded in the Secretariat's archive.  Those archives are
>          located at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive.  For
>          robustness, WGs SHOULD maintain an additional archive separate
>          from that maintained by the Secretariat.

Thanks,
Thomas