Subject: IETF Search Page Defaults

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:41:50 -0500

I wanted to get others opinions of the defaults on the IETF search page 
(http://search.ietf.org).

I introduce many people to the IETF and often discuss and reference 
Internet Drafts.  I always include information about how to find the latest 
version of a given document by referring them to the search page URL.  The 
problem is that the search page default for Scope is All IETF 
Documents.  Often, someone taking my advice types in the name of a draft or 
the title to try to locate it and instead pulls up  10 - 20 pages of 
hits.  The actual draft is buried  maybe 4 or 5 pages deep in the 
results.  Sometimes newbies give up at this stage thinking they have done 
something wrong.

Myself, I often forget to change the default when I am quickly looking for 
a draft and have to go back and search again.

I would like the default to be Internet Drafts only.  Alternatively, 
perhaps another URL could be generated which would have this default 
(http://search.ietf.org/drafts, for example).

Anyone else support this?

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
sip:[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:33:34 -0400

I've had exactly the same experience, and agree it would be good to 
change the default.

-Jonathan R.

Alan Johnston wrote:

> Internet Drafts.  I always include information about how to find the 
> latest version of a given document by referring them to the search page 
> URL.  The problem is that the search page default for Scope is All IETF 
> Documents.  Often, someone taking my advice types in the name of a draft 
> or the title to try to locate it and instead pulls up  10 - 20 pages of 
> results.  Sometimes newbies give up at this stage thinking they have 
> done something wrong.
> 
> Myself, I often forget to change the default when I am quickly looking 
> for a draft and have to go back and search again.
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:01:27 -0500

I would.  I have run into the same problem.

-Pete

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:04:56 -0400

I agree. The normal operation is to search for Internet
Drafts. Wanting to search all documents is an unusual
thing to do (partly because it does tend to create too
many responses).

Ross

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:20:08 -0400

> > Anyone else support this?

Absolutely.  I have to change it almost every time I use it.  Rarely do
I want to search all docs.

...george

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

imo - the default search should be based on context

for example - going to the search from the IPR page should default
to only looking in the IPR disclosures not in Internet-Drafts

Scott

---
>From [email-masked]  Fri Jun 25 15:48:02 2004
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:33:34 -0400
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Organization: dynamicsoft
To: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IETF Search Page Defaults
Sender: [email-masked]

-Jonathan R.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:45:37 -0400

I'd like to see the default changed to "Internet Drafts", especially 
through the "I-D Keyword Search" search on "Internet-Drafts" page 
(http://ietf.org/ID.html)...

- Ralph

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:18:45 +0300

If you are gathering votes, I'll vote for changing it. It is a bit
inconvenient now.

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:40:13 +0100

>If you are gathering votes, I'll vote for changing it. It is a bit
I would prefer this change as well.

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:51:49 -0500

Thanks to everyone for replying.  I'll make the suggestion the Secretariat 
and let everyone know the outcome.

Safe to say we have strong consensus among WG chairs, at least.

Thanks,
Alan.