Subject: RE: Copyright statements in drafts

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:56:31 -0400

You should keep in mind that "All Rights Reserved." (or the equivalent in Spanish) was a magic phrase years ago that was required for a copyright to be valid in some Latin American countries that did not recognize the validity of "Copyright", "Copr.", or the circle C symbol. Note that it doesn't actually say who the rights are reserved to. If I recall correctly, the last country where this made a difference was Uruguay. With the more widespread adoption of copyright treaties such as the Berne convention, I believe there is no longer any place where this makes a legal difference but people keep including this phrase since they are in the habit of using it and people are in the habit of seeing it.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Magnus Westerlund
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 4:53 AM
To: Sam Hartman
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Copyright statements in drafts

Hi Sam,

Sam Hartman wrote:
> As a WG chair I'd want tho copyright assigned at the time an item
> becomes a WG document.  If you do anything else, then you may find
> yourself in a position where you want to take text from a document but
> cannot do so.
> 
> Copyright should go along with change control.

I agree with this, an WG document need the copyright statement. However 
as I understand it is sufficient with this one:

       "Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year).  This document is
       subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP
       78, and except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their
       rights."

However my question was in relation to any draft author if he also 
includes the following statement in the "Status of this Memo" section:

Copyright Notice

    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year).  All Rights Reserved.

In view they seem to be a bit contradicting. The lower one states all 
rights reserved, while the from RFC 3667 does not give all rights to 
ISOC. Thus I would like a clarification on this.

Thanks

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:22:20 -0700

Whoops, my apologies. I had read RFC 3667 haphazardly, and didn't 
understand that we are now requiring the new copyright statement in 
all Internet Drafts, regardless of whether or not they are the ones 
that are to be turned into RFCs. On re-reading RFC 3667, this is now 
clear.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium