Subject: RE: Questions on 3667/8 and the current correct order of things.. .

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:27:53 -0400

Don't try to figure it out from the confusing RFCs. Just
go to http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt which
is what the Secretariate actually enforces anyway.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Russ White
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 1:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Questions on 3667/8 and the current correct order of things...

Y'all:

So, I revently attempted to convert my first draft into the new boilerplate
text, and I find it confusing to try and juggle all the pieces together,
and make one draft that actually works out of them. Specifically, I don't
understand the order things need to be in, nor what specific wording to
use.

3667/8 don't seem to indicate when the boilerplate in section 5.1 should go
in the draft. The nits state this statement should be at the end of the
draft, but I've seen some drafts with the statement at the beginning. Are
the nits right, or did I miss something in 3667/8?

I think the main problem here is that we have too many documents with too
many different options available, and it's hard to wade through all of
them, and figure out what the right thing to do. There's a sample draft
here:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/boilerplate.txt

That seems to be current, but seems to have different wording than what's
in 3667/8/etc. I don't really know what anyone should use as their
"definitive" option to building a new RFC currently.

Might I suggest that we have one RFC that covers the entire process,
including each section required or optional, in the right order, all in one
doc, to make this easier, along with a pointer to a sample doc for people
to read? It seems difficult to wade through multiple docs to find every
piece you need, and get it all right.

:-)

Russ

__________________________________
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone