Subject: RE: Survey shows.... (RE: Fridays (RE: 60th IETF - DRAFT Agenda))

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:18:11 -0400

And there are people coming many time zones who want at least
a day outside in the sunlight to try to recover from jet lag...

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rob Austein
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 5:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Survey shows.... (RE: Fridays (RE: 60th IETF - DRAFT Agenda))

I'd be careful about drawing too many conclusions from surveys in
which the range of answers is limited to such a small number of bits.

Eg, at one point someone commented that, based on survey results so
far, scheduling WG sessions for the Sunday before IETF might make more
sense than scheduling on Friday, because so many people were already
there.  Which misses one of the reasons why a not completely trivial
number of people arrive early: various other meetings that are
scheduled at the IETF venue just prior to IETF, to economize on travel
without actually conflicting with any of the IETF sessions.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:30:10 +0300

> without actually conflicting with any of the IETF sessions.

Here's one additional reason why people come early: they prepare
for meetings: meet their co-authors and co-chairs, go over slides
and issues, hold company internal preparation meetings, etc.

If you allocated meetings for Sunday, you would find out that
these people arrive on Friday so that they can use the
Saturday for preparations :-)

--Jari