Subject: nroff format

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:40:49 +0100

Am I mistaken?
Weren't we previously allowed to submit drafts in nroff format?

When did this change? Did I miss the announcement?

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:50:46 -0400

> When did this change? Did I miss the announcement?

It was never true.
There is a set of nroff macros available which make it easy to produce text 
which complies with the formatting requirements for internet-drafts.  These 
are essentially the same as the macros used internally by the RFC-Editor. 
So, if you use these macros then if/when your document is approved for 
publication as an RFC, you can provide the nroff input file to RFC-Editor 
out-of-band and save them some work.

However, internet-drafts must be submitted as plain text.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:03:01 -0400

> When did this change? Did I miss the announcement?

While it's possible that the Secretariat only recently started
rejecting nroff, it's been years (and several secretariat staff
members) since the last time I remember anybody at the Secretariat
showing any interest in the nroff sources I used to offer to them.
For a long time now, the Secretariat has just wanted the .txt file.

RFC Editor is a separate question, but you weren't asking about that.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:57:37 -0400

nroff is a file tool to format drafts, but the output of the tool is 
submitted, not the .nroff file.

Russ