Subject: RE: Survey shows.... (RE: Fridays (RE: 60th IETF - DRAFT Agenda))

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:07:06 +0300

Brian,

> > Where and when should we think about OTHER formats for getting together 
> > to get IETF work done?
> 
> I think there is insufficient use of interim meetings. They can accelerate
> progress significantly, and relieve pressure on the schedule during IETF
> weeks.
> 
> <discussion deflector>Properly conducted interim meetings do not damage
> the open process and the rough consensus doctrine.</discussion deflector>

I agree with you.  At the normal IETF meetings, making technical progress
can often be difficult and having an interim meeting to have technical
discussion to progress around difficult issues can be very helpful.

John

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:46:57 +0300

Harald,

> > If we move the social/free evening to Wednesday, then I think it is
> > appropriate to schedule one additional afternoon session on Friday.
> 
> That seems not unreasonable to me too. I have a higher level problem:
> With the number of WGs we have now, if they all decide to meet, we WILL 
> have a very crowded IETF meeting. (someone should count the number of 
> 2-slot WGs btw - I've had it suggested that they contribute a lot to the 
> crowding, but I don't know...)
> 
> Adding one slot adds just one slot - a very small percentage increase.
> Where and when should we think about OTHER formats for getting together to 
> get IETF work done?

We should schedule the first slots for WGs before allowing/scheduling 2nd
sessions.  WGs should demonstate a strong need for a 2nd slot.  It seems
that IETF meetings are good for getting together, summarizing status,
showing open issues, etc.  Decisions are made on mailing lists & it seems
that IETF meetings are good for cross-area reviews, discussions, etc.  
Interim meetings can be used to make progress on difficult technical issues.

John