Subject: ID-nits and reverse IPv6 addresses FQDN representation

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:51:30 -0400

Current ID/RFC guidelines restrict lines to 72 characters.
IPv6 reverse address is represented as reverse nibble order separated
by dots and followed by "ip6.arpa."

The address is 16 bytes that is 32 nibbles + 32 dots = 64 bytes
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.

followed by 9 bytes and guess what this is > 72.
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.ip6.arpa.

	Olafur

---

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:05:02 -0400

Many of the XMLDSIG RFCs, particularly those on
canonicalization, had XML which was very white space / new
line sensitive but had lines that were too long. So about
the only things you can do are to break the lines but put
verbiage around it to say what it really should be, as in

"The following is ... except for line wrapping due to the
Limited line length of this document"

or use quoted printable encoding or something yucky like
that.

I suppose in this case you could say "the ... is the
concatentation without white space of the following indented
lines:
	1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.
	9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.0.1.2.ip6.arpa.
"
or something like that.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ólafur Guðmundsson
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 6:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ID-nits and reverse IPv6 addresses FQDN representation

	Olafur